HOPE again

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2010
      MARCH's presence at HOPE is only 17 days away.  So I am re-attempting a "who's going" list.  It is important that any who's going inform me ASAP because we need to get our list to HOPE management.

      In addition, I need to know what (if anything) you're all bringing.  For this conference we want to do more than at Trenton, re: quantity of systems and level of tech detail.

      I plan to bring my IBM Simon which is the granddaddy of smartphones, along with gobs of MARCH and InfoAge literature.  I also promised the HOPE folks that we'll have at least one minicomputer, albeit a small one -- Bill Deg. restored both of our PDP-11/20 systems -- Bill, please bring the better of the two.  (HOPE management told us that we "nudge nudge, wink wink" bring a BIG minicomputer, and that we could use the hotel's freight elevator, etc. -- but this would be more effort than I think we want to expend.)

      Then again, maybe I'll ping Mike Ross and see what he says.  :)

      Obviously someone should bring a working S-100 computer + some sort of terminal.  (Ooooh -- I can bring MARCH's TV Typewriter II -- Bob Grieb restored it, but I can't find my notes about how to use it.)

      I know Jeff Jonas is also going.

      Who else, and what will ya'll bring ... ?

      Remember, unlike at Trenton, for this show we should bring really cool stuff.  We will have plenty of room.

      I'd like someone to bring something that can access a working BBS.

    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2010
        Evan,
        I worked on the 11/05's not the 11/20. There is only one 11/20, it's in
        the museum. The 11/05's are probably at InfoAge, I returned them many
        months ago. Only one of them is fully functional, the other works but it
        needs a new core memory.

        I will be taking the train to HOPE, I can't bring a large exhibit, but I
        was planning on trying to haul a AT&T UNIX PC and a small exhibit that
        tells the story about how a UNIX PC was used to hack the AT&T 911 system,
        etc. I have some old hacker books to display, etc. Again, it depends on
        whether I can haul this on the train, I have to put the exhibit on wheels.

        Bill

        > MARCH's presence at HOPE is only 17 days away. So I am re-attempting
        > a "who's going" list. It is important that any who's going inform me
        > ASAP because we need to get our list to HOPE management.
        >
        > In addition, I need to know what (if anything) you're all bringing. For

        > this conference we want to do more than at Trenton, re: quantity of
        > systems and level of tech detail.
        >
        > I plan to bring my IBM Simon which is the granddaddy of smartphones,
        > along with gobs of MARCH and InfoAge literature. I also promised the
        > HOPE folks that we'll have at least one minicomputer, albeit a small one

        > -- Bill Deg. restored both of our PDP-11/20 systems -- Bill, please
        > bring the better of the two. (HOPE management told us that we "nudge
        > nudge, wink wink" bring a BIG minicomputer, and that we could use the
        > hotel's freight elevator, etc. -- but this would be more effort than I
        > think we want to expend.)
        >
        > Then again, maybe I'll ping Mike Ross and see what he says. :)
        >
        > Obviously someone should bring a working S-100 computer + some sort of
        > terminal. (Ooooh -- I can bring MARCH's TV Typewriter II -- Bob Grieb
        > restored it, but I can't find my notes about how to use it.)
        >
        > I know Jeff Jonas is also going.
        >
        > Who else, and what will ya'll bring ... ?
        >
        > Remember, unlike at Trenton, for this show we should bring really cool
        > stuff. We will have plenty of room.
        >
        > I'd like someone to bring something that can access a working BBS.
      • systems.glitch
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2010
          I'll be traveling by train as well, but being as how I'm not getting a hotel room (the hammocks are sufficient for the little bit of sleeping I'll be doing) I should have room to bring my Kaypro II along. I'm also bringing a machine for the NOCNOC, probably something semi-vintage running *NIX (last year it was a Cobalt Qube 2 with Debian Linux). In any case, I'll have a serial console set up on whatever I bring, which hopefully means it can be connected to the Kaypro or another vintage computer.

          Depending on the availability of a POTS line, or if such things work with VoIP, I could also bring my non-Hayes 1200 baud modem for dialing in to BBSes. If not, I can certainly provide telnet/SSH service from whatever I leave in the NOCNOC. Since the Grex system is still considering cutting off their dialins due to lack of use/lack of funding, I'd like to leave something up where people can sign up for a Grex OpenBSD shell account (one can register through telnet/SSH).

          I was originally planning on bringing my Cromemco Z-2D or an Ohio Scientific Challenger III running OS-65D/OS-65U and CP/M, but it doesn't look like those particular machines will be coming up from West Virginia in time. They're also both very large and require external terminals, not very well suited for train travel. I'm going to bring a bunch of blank 5.25" floppies so that interested people might play around with 8080/Z-80 assembly, BASIC, or C -- if anyone wants some so that originals aren't being used at the displays, or just to have blanks around, I've got ~750 NOS in the factory bulk bags.

        • evan@snarc.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2010
            >>> I'll be traveling by train as well

            Welcome, newb! Please introduce yourself + how you got into vintage computers + what's your name, or is it just Mr. Glitch? :)

            All: he found us through the HOPE forum.
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 30, 2010
              On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, evan@... wrote:

              > Welcome, newb! Please introduce yourself + how you got into vintage computers + what's your name, or is it just Mr. Glitch? :)

              Oh great, another system glitch... :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • systems.glitch
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2010
                Actual name is Jonathan Chapman...but known as systems_glitch or just glitch through most forums. I found out about MARCH actually through the Vintage Computer Forums (user glitch there), but only recently joined as I've just moved to Troy, NY and am interested in bringing hardware to HOPE (saw you guys there last year).

                I got in to vintage computers out of necessity, as I was given an IBM PC/XT in elementary school. My family had a Packard Bell running a Pentium Classic @ 133 MHz, but the XT was *mine,* not to be disturbed by my brother, et c., so it got a lot of use. Many school papers were written using the Leading Edge Word Processor! I learned to program in BASIC between the XT and my grandmother's Leading Edge Model D. I'm also into electronics, so vintage computers provide a much more open platform to interface with. Currently I'm most interested in old IBM hardware, CP/M machines, and early Apple/Mac hardware. I'm going in to the second phase of prototyping on a single-board 8085 based system for project control that needs a lot of I/O (going from point-to-point board to an etched PCB).

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30, 2010
                  > I worked on the 11/05's not the 11/20.

                  Typo on my side, sorry.
                • systems.glitch
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 5 8:20 PM
                    I've been talking with LexIcon, who's handling the NOCNOC project for The Next HOPE. It shouldn't be a problem to run a Cat5 drop from the NOCNOC cage to the MARCH display. I'm currently waiting on a 100baseTX SBUS card for my SPARCclassic, but otherwise it looks like I'll have a server in the NOCNOC with a serial port for console access. If nothing else, I can bring my Kaypro II with a terminal emulator for connecting to telnet/SSH BBSes, but anyone else is welcome to connect their vintage system to the server. LexIcon recommended that any Cat5 cables should optimally be run on the Thursday before HOPE since traffic through the area will be high, but I'm usually up til 3 or 4 for such events, and could do the run at night when there's less traffic.

                    The SPARCclassic does have two built-in serial ports, but using the second port requires a splitter cable, which I don't have. If there's interest, I could build the splitter cable so that two vintage computers can log in (wiring diagrams for the cables are readily available online). I plan on providing telnet, SSH, ftp, text-only browsing, and gopher client services...any thoughts/recommendations on other things to include?

                    Thanks,
                    Jonathan

                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "systems.glitch" <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

                    > Actual name is Jonathan Chapman...but known as systems_glitch or just glitch through most forums. I found out about MARCH actually through the Vintage Computer Forums (user glitch there), but only recently joined as I've just moved to Troy, NY and am interested in bringing hardware to HOPE (saw you guys there last year).
                    >
                    > I got in to vintage computers out of necessity, as I was given an IBM PC/XT in elementary school. My family had a Packard Bell running a Pentium Classic @ 133 MHz, but the XT was *mine,* not to be disturbed by my brother, et c., so it got a lot of use. Many school papers were written using the Leading Edge Word Processor! I learned to program in BASIC between the XT and my grandmother's Leading Edge Model D. I'm also into electronics, so vintage computers provide a much more open platform to interface with. Currently I'm most interested in old IBM hardware, CP/M machines, and early Apple/Mac hardware. I'm going in to the second phase of prototyping on a single-board 8085 based system for project control that needs a lot of I/O (going from point-to-point board to an etched PCB).
                    >
                    > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@> wrote:

                    > > > Welcome, newb! Please introduce yourself + how you got into vintage computers + what's your name, or is it just Mr. Glitch? :)
                    > >
                    > > Oh great, another system glitch... :-)
                    > >

                    > > Mike Loewen mloewen@
                    > > Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 6 6:14 AM

                      > I've been talking with LexIcon, who's handling the NOCNOC project for The
                      Next HOPE. It shouldn't be a problem to run a Cat5 drop from the NOCNOC
                      cage to the MARCH display. I'm currently waiting on a 100baseTX SBUS card
                      for my SPARCclassic, but otherwise it looks like I'll have a server in the
                      NOCNOC with a serial port for console access. If nothing else, I can bring
                      my Kaypro II with a terminal emulator for connecting to telnet/SSH BBSes,
                      but anyone else is welcome to connect their vintage system to the server.
                      LexIcon recommended that any Cat5 cables should optimally be run on the
                      Thursday before HOPE since traffic through the area will be high, but I'm
                      usually up til 3 or 4 for such events, and could do the run at night when
                      there's less traffic.

                      I am planning on bringing an AT&T Unix PC that will have an internal modem.
                      I have never tested the modem, but if you're offering a serial connection
                      this I might be able to use. I have no plans that involve connectivity,
                      but we can mess around with it if you'd like.
                      Bill
                    • systems.glitch
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 6 2:26 PM
                        > I am planning on bringing an AT&T Unix PC that will have an internal modem.
                        > I have never tested the modem, but if you're offering a serial connection
                        > this I might be able to use. I have no plans that involve connectivity,
                        > but we can mess around with it if you'd like.
                        > Bill

                        Sounds good to me! I've got an AT&T Unix PC that's in need of a new hard drive, it'll be cool to see one up and running.

                        I'll go ahead and look into building the breakout cable for the SPARCclassic's serial port, just in case anyone wants to use it.