Re: [midatlanticretro] OT - Nikola Tesla Philadelphia conference / bash

  • Bob Schwier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2010
      Bang bang Maxwell's Four Equations came down on my head
      Bang Bang Maxwell's Four Equations made sure I was dead.

      I don't know that the devices have to be that dissimilar but Marconi's
      explanation is better.  The inspiration probably comes from the
      principle governing an electric motor or frankly noticing that power
      from Tesla's infamous coils traveled to unattached wires.

      The 1916 Mechanical Engineers Handbook discusses "Alternating
      Current Instruments."  "Instruments operating only on
      alternating current depend upon the interaction of inducing and
      induced currents and are described as induction instruments....
      portable induction indicating instruments...are sensitive to external
      stray fields."

      I can't find any description of the equipment used but I suspect that
      the first actual transmitter was a very dirty spark gap generator and
      the receiver may have been a "portable induction indicating instrument"
      hence the association in Tesla's proposal.
      Obviously, with this rig, there is only one channel as there are no tank
      circuits to permit different signals to use the air at the same time.
      If the patent is purely for wireless communication, the judge was right;
      but Marconi's conception permitted many channels whether or not the
      device he first tested had that capability.
      bs