Re: [midatlanticretro] OT - Nikola Tesla Philadelphia conference / bash

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2010

      The Philadelphia Nikola Tesla Inventors club is hosting their annual Tesla Science conferenceJuly 9 through July 11, 2010 in Philadelphia.

      Thanks for sharing this.  I will mention it at tomorrow night's InfoAge meeting -- I'm sure many of the radio guys are interested.

      From what I understand, the judge was wrong to give Marconi's patents back to Tesla, because Tesla used induction while Marconi used waves -- obviously very different technologies!
    • Bob Schwier
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2010
        Bang bang Maxwell's Four Equations came down on my head
        Bang Bang Maxwell's Four Equations made sure I was dead.

        I don't know that the devices have to be that dissimilar but Marconi's
        explanation is better.  The inspiration probably comes from the
        principle governing an electric motor or frankly noticing that power
        from Tesla's infamous coils traveled to unattached wires.

        The 1916 Mechanical Engineers Handbook discusses "Alternating
        Current Instruments."  "Instruments operating only on
        alternating current depend upon the interaction of inducing and
        induced currents and are described as induction instruments....
        portable induction indicating instruments...are sensitive to external
        stray fields."

        I can't find any description of the equipment used but I suspect that
        the first actual transmitter was a very dirty spark gap generator and
        the receiver may have been a "portable induction indicating instrument"
        hence the association in Tesla's proposal.
        Obviously, with this rig, there is only one channel as there are no tank
        circuits to permit different signals to use the air at the same time.
        If the patent is purely for wireless communication, the judge was right;
        but Marconi's conception permitted many channels whether or not the
        device he first tested had that capability.
        bs

        The Philadelphia Nikola Tesla Inventors club is hosting their annual Tesla Science conferenceJuly 9 through July 11, 2010 in Philadelphia.

        Thanks for sharing this.  I will mention it at tomorrow night's InfoAge meeting -- I'm sure many of the radio guys are interested.

        From what I understand, the judge was wrong to give Marconi's patents back to Tesla, because Tesla used induction while Marconi used waves -- obviously very different technologies!