OT - Nikola Tesla Philadelphia conference / bash

  • Bob Schwier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2010

      The Philadelphia Nikola Tesla Inventors club is hosting their annual Tesla Science conferenceJuly 9 through July 11, 2010 in Philadelphia.As you may know Tesla invented much of the equipment for Alternating current electricity andwas in competition with Edison's much inferior DC current.  Tesla was also credited with theinvention of radio ( Marconi had used Tesla's inventions and thus Marconi's patents were re-asssignedback to Tesla just after his death in 1943 )Many of the exhibits and presentations are free.July 9 - Tesla Bash,  6th & Market St (free).   Tesla coil demo / competition.            at least 6 coils,  some of them quite large will be operating.July 10 - Info, exhibits , music  6th & Market ( free )July 10 - Presentations, Lectures , Free Library  (free )July 10 - Reception & Dinner,  Orchestral music featuring a Theramin.  Arch St meeting house. $20July 10 - 11 - Science Conference, 2 Liberty Place 32 floor.  $120

      To register or  for more info see:
      http://www.nikolateslaclub.com/

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2010

        The Philadelphia Nikola Tesla Inventors club is hosting their annual Tesla Science conferenceJuly 9 through July 11, 2010 in Philadelphia.

        Thanks for sharing this.  I will mention it at tomorrow night's InfoAge meeting -- I'm sure many of the radio guys are interested.

        From what I understand, the judge was wrong to give Marconi's patents back to Tesla, because Tesla used induction while Marconi used waves -- obviously very different technologies!
      • Bob Schwier
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2010
          Bang bang Maxwell's Four Equations came down on my head
          Bang Bang Maxwell's Four Equations made sure I was dead.

          I don't know that the devices have to be that dissimilar but Marconi's
          explanation is better.  The inspiration probably comes from the
          principle governing an electric motor or frankly noticing that power
          from Tesla's infamous coils traveled to unattached wires.

          The 1916 Mechanical Engineers Handbook discusses "Alternating
          Current Instruments."  "Instruments operating only on
          alternating current depend upon the interaction of inducing and
          induced currents and are described as induction instruments....
          portable induction indicating instruments...are sensitive to external
          stray fields."

          I can't find any description of the equipment used but I suspect that
          the first actual transmitter was a very dirty spark gap generator and
          the receiver may have been a "portable induction indicating instrument"
          hence the association in Tesla's proposal.
          Obviously, with this rig, there is only one channel as there are no tank
          circuits to permit different signals to use the air at the same time.
          If the patent is purely for wireless communication, the judge was right;
          but Marconi's conception permitted many channels whether or not the
          device he first tested had that capability.
          bs

          The Philadelphia Nikola Tesla Inventors club is hosting their annual Tesla Science conferenceJuly 9 through July 11, 2010 in Philadelphia.

          Thanks for sharing this.  I will mention it at tomorrow night's InfoAge meeting -- I'm sure many of the radio guys are interested.

          From what I understand, the judge was wrong to give Marconi's patents back to Tesla, because Tesla used induction while Marconi used waves -- obviously very different technologies!