Re: [midatlanticretro] old star trek ascii art

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
      On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

      > That was an interesting write up from Sam Harbison. And you're used to
      > lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem,
      > right? ;)

      Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
      She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
      Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
        On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, evan@... wrote:

        > MARCH has a DECwriter III, but we never tried using it.

        ...a bit on the slow side.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Barry L. Kline
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
          Mike Loewen wrote:

          > Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
          > She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
          > Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

          I have a Honda Pilot which looks to be a bit bigger that the HHR, just
          in case you find yourself looking at a great find but find yourself
          constrained by transportation...

          Barry
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 3, 2010
            There is a wide carriage DEC dot-matrix printer at InfoAge. It is probably very close to a DEC writer without the keyboard and it should at least as fast.

            Jim

            On 6/27/2010 10:04 PM, David Gesswein wrote:

            > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
            > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
            > his one of his PDPs. :)

            I did a simple snoopy at VCF's but on a teletype anything complex
            takes too long for most people to wait for.

            I have PC era dot matrix that would work but need to get a DECwriter
            or a drum printer to be appropriate for my exhibit and fast enough. I
            printed some on IBM mainframes back in the day. This is the tape I have.
            http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/ascii_art/

            I also have 5 level teletype art tapes which I need to finish reading in some
            day.