Re: [midatlanticretro] old star trek ascii art

  • Andrew Molloy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
      On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

      On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

      > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
      > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
      > his one of his PDPs. :)

      I could do that, with a line-matrix printer and anything from the
      Kaypro/TRS-80 era:

      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

      That was an interesting write up from Sam Harbison. And you're used to lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem, right? ;)

      Andy

    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
        >>> And you're used to lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem, right? ;)

        MARCH has a DECwriter III, but we never tried using it.
      • Andrew Molloy
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
          On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          > Found a program on Sourceforge called ASCII Generator 2.0 but the results
          > aren't great.

          > Andy, are there any programs for taking a picture and printing the results
          > in ASCII?  It would be a great VCF (or museum) attraction, and possible a
          > money-maker, if we can take pictures of people's faces and print the results
          > as ASCII -- even in simple 8.5 x 11 paper.  Ideally we'd do it using a
          > vintage computer and vintage printer, but we could also fake it using a PC
          > and laser printer.

          This one looks pretty good and can do color too. There's an online and
          Windows version:
          http://www.text-image.com/

          The sample conversions of people's faces look pretty nice in color.

          Andy
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
            On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

            > That was an interesting write up from Sam Harbison. And you're used to
            > lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem,
            > right? ;)

            Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
            She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
            Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
              On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, evan@... wrote:

              > MARCH has a DECwriter III, but we never tried using it.

              ...a bit on the slow side.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Barry L. Kline
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                Mike Loewen wrote:

                > Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
                > She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
                > Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

                I have a Honda Pilot which looks to be a bit bigger that the HHR, just
                in case you find yourself looking at a great find but find yourself
                constrained by transportation...

                Barry
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 3 6:50 PM
                  There is a wide carriage DEC dot-matrix printer at InfoAge. It is probably very close to a DEC writer without the keyboard and it should at least as fast.

                  Jim

                  On 6/27/2010 10:04 PM, David Gesswein wrote:

                  > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
                  > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
                  > his one of his PDPs. :)

                  I did a simple snoopy at VCF's but on a teletype anything complex
                  takes too long for most people to wait for.

                  I have PC era dot matrix that would work but need to get a DECwriter
                  or a drum printer to be appropriate for my exhibit and fast enough. I
                  printed some on IBM mainframes back in the day. This is the tape I have.
                  http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/ascii_art/

                  I also have 5 level teletype art tapes which I need to finish reading in some
                  day.