Re: [midatlanticretro] old star trek ascii art

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 26, 2010
      It is amazing what you can still do with vintage computers! :)

      Cheers,

      Bryan

      pretty cool. thanks for the link ! it's amazing what you can do with just ASCII characters !
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 27, 2010
        On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

        > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
        > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
        > his one of his PDPs. :)

        I could do that, with a line-matrix printer and anything from the
        Kaypro/TRS-80 era:

        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • RonK
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 27, 2010
          I had to get my vintage brain engaged for this one! :)

          I viewed the pictures, and it took a few seconds to realize they were all made of ASCII characters. Amazing! I used to do that with my old Model 15 teletype machine. I recall one of JFK and also, Mona Lisa.

          Ahh... the memories....

          Ron
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 27, 2010
            > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
            > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
            > his one of his PDPs. :)

            I did a simple snoopy at VCF's but on a teletype anything complex
            takes too long for most people to wait for.

            I have PC era dot matrix that would work but need to get a DECwriter
            or a drum printer to be appropriate for my exhibit and fast enough. I
            printed some on IBM mainframes back in the day. This is the tape I have.
            http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/ascii_art/

            I also have 5 level teletype art tapes which I need to finish reading in some
            day.
          • Andrew Molloy
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
              On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

              > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
              > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
              > his one of his PDPs. :)

              I did a simple snoopy at VCF's but on a teletype anything complex
              takes too long for most people to wait for.

              Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing your Snoopy.

              I have PC era dot matrix that would work but need to get a DECwriter
              or a drum printer to be appropriate for my exhibit and fast enough. I
              printed some on IBM mainframes back in the day. This is the tape I have.
              http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/ascii_art/

              I also have 5 level teletype art tapes which I need to finish reading in some
              day.

              A DECwriter would be really neat to see in action at VCF. Nothing like playing a text adventure game on one of those.

              Andy

            • Andrew Molloy
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

                > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
                > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
                > his one of his PDPs. :)

                I could do that, with a line-matrix printer and anything from the
                Kaypro/TRS-80 era:

                http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

                That was an interesting write up from Sam Harbison. And you're used to lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem, right? ;)

                Andy

              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                  >>> And you're used to lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem, right? ;)

                  MARCH has a DECwriter III, but we never tried using it.
                • Andrew Molloy
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                    On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                    > Found a program on Sourceforge called ASCII Generator 2.0 but the results
                    > aren't great.

                    > Andy, are there any programs for taking a picture and printing the results
                    > in ASCII?  It would be a great VCF (or museum) attraction, and possible a
                    > money-maker, if we can take pictures of people's faces and print the results
                    > as ASCII -- even in simple 8.5 x 11 paper.  Ideally we'd do it using a
                    > vintage computer and vintage printer, but we could also fake it using a PC
                    > and laser printer.

                    This one looks pretty good and can do color too. There's an online and
                    Windows version:
                    http://www.text-image.com/

                    The sample conversions of people's faces look pretty nice in color.

                    Andy
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                      On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

                      > That was an interesting write up from Sam Harbison. And you're used to
                      > lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem,
                      > right? ;)

                      Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
                      She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
                      Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                        On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, evan@... wrote:

                        > MARCH has a DECwriter III, but we never tried using it.

                        ...a bit on the slow side.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Barry L. Kline
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                          Mike Loewen wrote:

                          > Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
                          > She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
                          > Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

                          I have a Honda Pilot which looks to be a bit bigger that the HHR, just
                          in case you find yourself looking at a great find but find yourself
                          constrained by transportation...

                          Barry
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 3, 2010
                            There is a wide carriage DEC dot-matrix printer at InfoAge. It is probably very close to a DEC writer without the keyboard and it should at least as fast.

                            Jim