Re: [midatlanticretro] old star trek ascii art

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 26, 2010
      It is amazing what you can still do with vintage computers! :)

      Cheers,

      Bryan

      pretty cool. thanks for the link ! it's amazing what you can do with just ASCII characters !

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 27, 2010
          On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

          > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
          > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
          > his one of his PDPs. :)

          I could do that, with a line-matrix printer and anything from the
          Kaypro/TRS-80 era:

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • RonK
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 27, 2010
            I had to get my vintage brain engaged for this one! :)

            I viewed the pictures, and it took a few seconds to realize they were all made of ASCII characters. Amazing! I used to do that with my old Model 15 teletype machine. I recall one of JFK and also, Mona Lisa.

            Ahh... the memories....

            Ron
          • David Gesswein
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 27, 2010
              > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
              > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
              > his one of his PDPs. :)

              I did a simple snoopy at VCF's but on a teletype anything complex
              takes too long for most people to wait for.

              I have PC era dot matrix that would work but need to get a DECwriter
              or a drum printer to be appropriate for my exhibit and fast enough. I
              printed some on IBM mainframes back in the day. This is the tape I have.
              http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/ascii_art/

              I also have 5 level teletype art tapes which I need to finish reading in some
              day.
            • Andrew Molloy
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

                > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
                > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
                > his one of his PDPs. :)

                I did a simple snoopy at VCF's but on a teletype anything complex
                takes too long for most people to wait for.

                Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing your Snoopy.

                I have PC era dot matrix that would work but need to get a DECwriter
                or a drum printer to be appropriate for my exhibit and fast enough. I
                printed some on IBM mainframes back in the day. This is the tape I have.
                http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/ascii_art/

                I also have 5 level teletype art tapes which I need to finish reading in some
                day.

                A DECwriter would be really neat to see in action at VCF. Nothing like playing a text adventure game on one of those.

                Andy

              • Andrew Molloy
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                  On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                  On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

                  > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
                  > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
                  > his one of his PDPs. :)

                  I could do that, with a line-matrix printer and anything from the
                  Kaypro/TRS-80 era:

                  http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

                  That was an interesting write up from Sam Harbison. And you're used to lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem, right? ;)

                  Andy

                • evan@snarc.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                    >>> And you're used to lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem, right? ;)

                    MARCH has a DECwriter III, but we never tried using it.
                  • Andrew Molloy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                      On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                      > Found a program on Sourceforge called ASCII Generator 2.0 but the results
                      > aren't great.

                      > Andy, are there any programs for taking a picture and printing the results
                      > in ASCII?  It would be a great VCF (or museum) attraction, and possible a
                      > money-maker, if we can take pictures of people's faces and print the results
                      > as ASCII -- even in simple 8.5 x 11 paper.  Ideally we'd do it using a
                      > vintage computer and vintage printer, but we could also fake it using a PC
                      > and laser printer.

                      This one looks pretty good and can do color too. There's an online and
                      Windows version:
                      http://www.text-image.com/

                      The sample conversions of people's faces look pretty nice in color.

                      Andy
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                        On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

                        > That was an interesting write up from Sam Harbison. And you're used to
                        > lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem,
                        > right? ;)

                        Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
                        She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
                        Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Mike Loewen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                          On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, evan@... wrote:

                          > MARCH has a DECwriter III, but we never tried using it.

                          ...a bit on the slow side.

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • Barry L. Kline
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 28, 2010
                            Mike Loewen wrote:

                            > Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
                            > She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
                            > Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

                            I have a Honda Pilot which looks to be a bit bigger that the HHR, just
                            in case you find yourself looking at a great find but find yourself
                            constrained by transportation...

                            Barry
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 3, 2010
                              There is a wide carriage DEC dot-matrix printer at InfoAge. It is probably very close to a DEC writer without the keyboard and it should at least as fast.

                              Jim