old star trek ascii art

  • Andrew Molloy
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 26 5:37 PM
      I scanned in some old Creative Computing ascii art from 1976 that I
      picked up from Ray Borrill a few years ago. Thought someone here might
      enjoy looking at it. It's pretty high rez so if you click to magnify
      it, it takes a while for the image to get crisp.

      http://picasaweb.google.com/awmolloy/AsciiArtStarTrek?feat=directlink

      Andy

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 26 8:47 PM
            It is amazing what you can still do with vintage computers! :)

            Cheers,

            Bryan

            pretty cool. thanks for the link ! it's amazing what you can do with just ASCII characters !

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 27 5:36 AM
                On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

                > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
                > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
                > his one of his PDPs. :)

                I could do that, with a line-matrix printer and anything from the
                Kaypro/TRS-80 era:

                http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • RonK
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 27 9:05 AM
                  I had to get my vintage brain engaged for this one! :)

                  I viewed the pictures, and it took a few seconds to realize they were all made of ASCII characters. Amazing! I used to do that with my old Model 15 teletype machine. I recall one of JFK and also, Mona Lisa.

                  Ahh... the memories....

                  Ron
                • David Gesswein
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 27 7:04 PM
                    > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
                    > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
                    > his one of his PDPs. :)

                    I did a simple snoopy at VCF's but on a teletype anything complex
                    takes too long for most people to wait for.

                    I have PC era dot matrix that would work but need to get a DECwriter
                    or a drum printer to be appropriate for my exhibit and fast enough. I
                    printed some on IBM mainframes back in the day. This is the tape I have.
                    http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/ascii_art/

                    I also have 5 level teletype art tapes which I need to finish reading in some
                    day.
                  • Andrew Molloy
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 28 7:36 AM
                      On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:04 PM, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

                      > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
                      > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
                      > his one of his PDPs. :)

                      I did a simple snoopy at VCF's but on a teletype anything complex
                      takes too long for most people to wait for.

                      Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing your Snoopy.

                      I have PC era dot matrix that would work but need to get a DECwriter
                      or a drum printer to be appropriate for my exhibit and fast enough. I
                      printed some on IBM mainframes back in the day. This is the tape I have.
                      http://www.pdp8online.com/ftp/ascii_art/

                      I also have 5 level teletype art tapes which I need to finish reading in some
                      day.

                      A DECwriter would be really neat to see in action at VCF. Nothing like playing a text adventure game on one of those.

                      Andy

                    • Andrew Molloy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 28 7:39 AM
                        On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                        On Sat, 26 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

                        > Wouldn't it be cool to rig up a line printer or teletype at the next VCF and
                        > print out ascii art for attendees? I bet David could get something going on
                        > his one of his PDPs. :)

                        I could do that, with a line-matrix printer and anything from the
                        Kaypro/TRS-80 era:

                        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/ASCII/

                        That was an interesting write up from Sam Harbison. And you're used to lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem, right? ;)

                        Andy

                      • evan@snarc.net
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 28 7:47 AM
                          >>> And you're used to lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem, right? ;)

                          MARCH has a DECwriter III, but we never tried using it.
                        • Andrew Molloy
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 28 7:50 AM
                            On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                            > Found a program on Sourceforge called ASCII Generator 2.0 but the results
                            > aren't great.

                            > Andy, are there any programs for taking a picture and printing the results
                            > in ASCII?  It would be a great VCF (or museum) attraction, and possible a
                            > money-maker, if we can take pictures of people's faces and print the results
                            > as ASCII -- even in simple 8.5 x 11 paper.  Ideally we'd do it using a
                            > vintage computer and vintage printer, but we could also fake it using a PC
                            > and laser printer.

                            This one looks pretty good and can do color too. There's an online and
                            Windows version:
                            http://www.text-image.com/

                            The sample conversions of people's faces look pretty nice in color.

                            Andy
                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 28 7:52 AM
                              On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Andrew Molloy wrote:

                              > That was an interesting write up from Sam Harbison. And you're used to
                              > lugging big equipment to VCF so a line matrix printer would be no problem,
                              > right? ;)

                              Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
                              She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
                              Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                            • Mike Loewen
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 28 7:54 AM
                                On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, evan@... wrote:

                                > MARCH has a DECwriter III, but we never tried using it.

                                ...a bit on the slow side.

                                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              • Barry L. Kline
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 28 8:57 AM
                                  Mike Loewen wrote:

                                  > Well, it's more bulky than heavy, but would fit in my wife's HHR. :-)
                                  > She traded in the van and downsized, which limits the size of LMOs (Large
                                  > Metal Objects) which I can transport. I wonder if that was on purpose...

                                  I have a Honda Pilot which looks to be a bit bigger that the HHR, just
                                  in case you find yourself looking at a great find but find yourself
                                  constrained by transportation...

                                  Barry
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 3, 2010
                                    There is a wide carriage DEC dot-matrix printer at InfoAge. It is probably very close to a DEC writer without the keyboard and it should at least as fast.

                                    Jim