Workday this coming Sunday

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2010
      Hi all --

      Sunday we'll begin painting the concrete floor of our new museum space.  Also, we'd like to start organizing our books, magazines, and software.  So we'll need lots of help!

      For the print / electronic media organization, first we need to get it all in one place (upstairs in our new section.)  We will organize the books by subject/title; magazines by title/issue; and software by system/category/title.  For the time being we'll store it all in file cabinets -- InfoAge has many (many, many!) which we can use.

      I know the media organizing is the more fun project but I do need one or two people for the unglamorous floor painting.

      We'll start around 10am and work until 5pm (I have to be somewhere at 6.)
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2010

        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        Hi all --

        Sunday we'll begin painting the concrete floor of our new museum space.

        just a quick question,  Are you using a good quality floor paint ?
        Normally , for any installation, auto shop, airplane hanger, manufacturing plant, etc. where there's lot of traffic - foot, equipment, etc. - you like to get something that's durable. So that it doesn't flake off after 1 year. Most places use a type of epoxy floor paint which can last for years and years. You really don't want to skimp on an item like this. I've seen places where the floor looks like junk after a few years.

        =Dan

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2010

          Sunday we'll begin painting the concrete floor of our new museum space.

          just a quick question,  Are you using a good quality floor paint?
          Normally, for any installation, auto shop, airplane hanger, manufacturing plant, etc. where there's lot of traffic - foot, equipment, etc. - you like to get something that's durable. So that it doesn't flake off after 1 year. Most places use a type of epoxy floor paint which can last for years and years. You really don't want to skimp on an item like this. I've seen places where the floor looks like junk after a few years.

          You are correct sir!  I have to go shopping and see what's available.

          For our most-trafficked area -- the front entrance -- I think we'll have a nice area rug.  There won't be any machines in touching distance so it will be safe re: static electricity.
        • Bill Dromgoole
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2010
            You are correct sir!  I have to go shopping and see what's available.

            To do a proper job, you first need to clean the floor, then acid etch and rinse.
            Then prime and after eight hours drying time put on a good two part epoxy paint.

            We know we aren't going to do that.
            I recommend home depot one part epoxy floor paint. The five gallon pails ($129.00) come in light or dark gray.
            The one gallon cans ($29.00) can be tinted to a range of colors.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 26, 2010

              Hi all --

              Sunday we'll begin painting the concrete floor of our new museum space.  Also, we'd like to start organizing our books, magazines, and software.  So we'll need lots of help!

              For the print / electronic media organization, first we need to get it all in one place (upstairs in our new section.)  We will organize the books by subject/title; magazines by title/issue; and software by system/category/title.  For the time being we'll store it all in file cabinets -- InfoAge has many (many, many!) which we can use.

              I know the media organizing is the more fun project but I do need one or two people for the unglamorous floor painting.

              We'll start around 10am and work until 5pm (I have to be somewhere at 6.)

              Update: several people, on- and off-list, sent me advice about floor painting techniques.  Then I talked to Fred.  He told me that Infoage's paint job in section 9032-A -- that big, barren section where we had VCF exhibits last year -- was painted just once with ordinary porch/floor paint a few years ago and has held up to thousands of people (Halloween, VCF, etc.) with no problems.

              So, unless we get a sudden influx of labor and/or money and/or miracles, we're going to take the KISS method of painting our new section's floor.