QST article

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2010
      Did anyone read the article in this month's QST about the coining of the term "Personal Computer". Just wondering on the veracity of this statement.

      73 de Kelly
      KB2SYD
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 18, 2010
        Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
        > Did anyone read the article in this month's QST about the coining of the term "Personal Computer". Just wondering on the veracity of this statement.
        >
        > 73 de Kelly
        > KB2SYD

        QST? ... ham radio. nope. What did they say?
        bd
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2010

          Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

          > Did anyone read the article in this month's
          QST about the coining of the term "Personal Computer". Just wondering on the veracity of this statement.

          > 73 de Kelly

          KB2SYD

          QST? ... ham radio. nope. What did they say?
          bd

          Sorry, the exact term was "Personal Computing". A subtle, but significant difference. Here is the reference:

          In an article by John Dilks...
           "I invented the term 'Personal Computing' after a telephone conversation with Carl Helmers. He had mentioned the word 'personal' while discussing the pluses of owning our own computer and using them at home for all kinds of uses that we envisioned. The name made sense. I later registered the trademark."

          The article discusses "PC76", an early computer convention held on August 28-29, 1976 (which I'm sure many of you are familiar with). Mr. Dilks was one of the people who made this event happen. Also mentions ACGNJ. Might be an interesting person to give a talk. He is affiliated with InfoAge already through the New Jersey Antique Radio Club.

          Kelly
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2010
            > > Did anyone read the article in this month's QST about the coining of
            the term "Personal Computer". Just wondering on the veracity of this
            statement.

            > > 73 de Kelly
            > > KB2SYD
            > >

            > QST? ... ham radio. nope. What did they say?
            > bd
            >

            > Sorry, the exact term was "Personal Computing". A subtle, but significant
            difference. Here is the reference:

            > In an article by John Dilks...
            > "I invented the term 'Personal Computing' after a telephone conversation
            with Carl Helmers. He had mentioned the word 'personal' while discussing
            the pluses of owning our own computer and using them at home for all kinds
            of uses that we envisioned. The name made sense. I later registered the
            trademark."

            > The article discusses "PC76", an early computer convention held on August
            28-29, 1976 (which I'm sure many of you are familiar with). Mr. Dilks was
            one of the people who made this event happen. Also mentions ACGNJ. Might be
            an interesting person to give a talk. He is affiliated with InfoAge already
            through the New Jersey Antique Radio Club.

            > Kelly

            Kelly,
            We have spoken with John, to my knowledge he had not been available. It
            would be an honor if he would speak at VCF, perhaps you can ask what favor
            we could return to him.

            http://www.vintagecomputer.net/images/thm_PC76.jpg
            (picture of pc 76 poster)_

            bd
          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 19, 2010
              >>> We have spoken with John, to my knowledge he had not been available.

              Yup. I've been working on him for years. He's been to our VCF East(s).