OT Help with DOS 6.22 Supplemental disk

  • rkzbos
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 13, 2010
      Hello everyone

      I just upgraded my Pentium III to DOS 6.22. But I also have 2 slightly different Supplemental disk with a few different files. I am not sure which one to use.
      One of them was copied to a disk and the other has the original label on it called Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22, Plus Enhanced Tools Supplemental disk.

      The other question is, which directory to I copy the disk to?

      And after restarting the PC, after I type DIR, in the list I have CONFIG OLD and AUTO OLD. Do I need those directories?

      Thank you
      Jack R
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 13, 2010
        rkzbos wrote:
        > Hello everyone
        >
        > I just upgraded my Pentium III to DOS 6.22. But I also have 2 slightly different Supplemental disk with a few different files. I am not sure which one to use.
        > One of them was copied to a disk and the other has the original label on it called Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22, Plus Enhanced Tools Supplemental disk.
        >
        > The other question is, which directory to I copy the disk to?
        >
        > And after restarting the PC, after I type DIR, in the list I have CONFIG OLD and AUTO OLD. Do I need those directories?
        >
        > Thank you
        > Jack R

        Jack,
        Just put it all in c:\dos
        bd
      • rkzbos
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 13, 2010
          Hi billdeg, I was able to copy both disks into the DOS dir and I had to overwrite many of the files on the 2nd disk.

          After restarted the PC, I notice that many commands are not working.
          I would get back "Bad command or file name" or "Can not find file QBASIC.EXE.

          Qbasic.exe, DOSSHELL and EDIT, EDLIN or EDITOR is also missing. Some of these files are listed in the DOS dir, but some files might be missing.

          What I was able to do in DOS 6.2, I am not able to do after this upgrade. I must be doing something wrong because I once had DOS 6.22 on another PC and all of this was working before.

          Thank you
          Jack

          > rkzbos wrote:
          > > Hello everyone
          > >
          > > I just upgraded my Pentium III to DOS 6.22. But I also have 2 slightly different Supplemental disk with a few different files. I am not sure which one to use.
          > > One of them was copied to a disk and the other has the original label on it called Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22, Plus Enhanced Tools Supplemental disk.
          > >
          > > The other question is, which directory to I copy the disk to?
          > >
          > > And after restarting the PC, after I type DIR, in the list I have CONFIG OLD and AUTO OLD. Do I need those directories?
          > >
          > > Thank you
          > > Jack R
          > >

          > Jack,
          > Just put it all in c:\dos
          > bd

        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 13, 2010
            are you operating from the DOS subdirectory, or do you have PATH statement
            (type PATH at the c prompt)? If not, you'll get a file not found error.

            > Hi billdeg, I was able to copy both disks into the DOS dir and I had to
            overwrite many of the files on the 2nd disk.

            > After restarted the PC, I notice that many commands are not working.
            > I would get back "Bad command or file name" or "Can not find file
            QBASIC.EXE.

            > Qbasic.exe, DOSSHELL and EDIT, EDLIN or EDITOR is also missing. Some of
            these files are listed in the DOS dir, but some files might be missing.

            > What I was able to do in DOS 6.2, I am not able to do after this upgrade.
            I must be doing something wrong because I once had DOS 6.22 on another PC
            and all of this was working before.

            > Thank you
            > Jack
            >
            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > rkzbos wrote:
            > > > Hello everyone
            > > >
            > > > I just upgraded my Pentium III to DOS 6.22. But I also have 2
            slightly different Supplemental disk with a few different files. I am not
            sure which one to use.
            > > > One of them was copied to a disk and the other has the original label
            on it called Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22, Plus Enhanced Tools Supplemental disk.

            > > > The other question is, which directory to I copy the disk to?
            > > >
            > > > And after restarting the PC, after I type DIR, in the list I have
            CONFIG OLD and AUTO OLD. Do I need those directories?

            > > > Thank you
            > > > Jack R
            > > >

            > > Jack,
            > > Just put it all in c:\dos
            > > bd

          • rkzbos
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 13, 2010
              In C:\ and in C:\DOS when I type "path" I get "PATH=C:\DOS"

              Jack

                rkzbos wrote:

                Hello everyone

                I just upgraded my Pentium III to DOS 6.22.  But I also have 2

                slightly different Supplemental disk with a few different files.  I am not
                sure which one to use.

                One of them was copied to a disk and the other has the original label

                on it called Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22, Plus Enhanced Tools Supplemental disk.

                The other question is, which directory to I copy the disk to?

                And after restarting the PC, after I type DIR, in the list I have

                CONFIG OLD and AUTO OLD. Do I need those directories?

                Thank you
                Jack R

                Jack,
                Just put it all in c:\dos
                bd

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Bob Schwier
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 14, 2010
                  If the files were zip files, they would be written with a blank for one of the extension
                  letters.  They would have to be expanded according to the algorithm in the setup
                  program.  If the extension names are complete, the program should work.  I would
                  recommend testing the disks with Norton Utilities of  that period.
                  bs

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/join

                  midatlanticretro- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 14, 2010
                    After I restart my PC, and type DIR, I get this:

                    COMMAND COM
                    DOS <DIR>
                    WINA20 386
                    CONFIG OLD
                    AUTOEXEC OLD
                    CONFIG SYS
                    AUTOEXE BAT
                    SCANDISK LOG
                    GAMES <DIR>
                    QB45 <DIR>

                    I started out by installing DOS 6.22 disk and 2 Supplement disk to a computer that already had DOS 6.1. The DOS disk were copies not original factory disk. 1 Supplement disk was factory original and the other was a copy. I added both because one had a little more then the other. -They were copied into the DOS dir.

                    Anyway, when I began the installation of the 6.22 disk, I simply put the disk into drive a: and rebooted. I then got the "retry, abort, fail" After pressing retry a few times nothing worked
                    until I selected "fail" Then the program opened up.

                    In the process of installation, I had pop up errors but I still was
                    able to continue with the installation. I did not see any ZIP, PKUNZIP, PKZIP files in the DOS
                    DIR afterwards.

                    BTW I created the GAMES DIR and I copied QB45 from another disk. Many of the commands are not working. DOSSHELL, EDLIN or EDITOR is missing.
                    If I can not fix this problem, I would be better off going back to DOS 6.1, but I am not sure if I have DOS 6.1 disk. However my goal is to have a working DOS 6.22.

                    Jack

                    > Usually you have to install DOS, not just copy the files into the
                    > directory. did you do a directory of the subdir? Are the files you're
                    > trying to run present?
                    > bd
                    >

                    > rkzbos wrote:
                    > > In C:\ and in C:\DOS when I type "path" I get "PATH=C:\DOS"
                    > >
                    > > Jack
                    > >
                    > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> are you operating from the DOS subdirectory, or do you have PATH statement
                    > >> (type PATH at the c prompt)? If not, you'll get a file not found error.

                  • rkzbos
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 14, 2010
                      I forgot to mention that after I go to the DOS dir, many of the files
                      end with a _ (underscore). For example DOSSHELL.EX_ and COMMANDS.TX_

                      Also, I guess I did not do a directory of the subdir. DOS only has
                      one dir.

                      Jack

                      > Usually you have to install DOS, not just copy the files into the
                      > directory. did you do a directory of the subdir? Are the files you're
                      > trying to run present?
                      > bd
                      >

                      > rkzbos wrote:
                      > > In C:\ and in C:\DOS when I type "path" I get "PATH=C:\DOS"
                      > >
                      > > Jack
                      > >
                      > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> are you operating from the DOS subdirectory, or do you have PATH statement
                      > >> (type PATH at the c prompt)? If not, you'll get a file not found error.

                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 14, 2010
                        On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, rkzbos wrote:

                        > I forgot to mention that after I go to the DOS dir, many of the files
                        > end with a _ (underscore). For example DOSSHELL.EX_ and COMMANDS.TX_
                        >
                        > Also, I guess I did not do a directory of the subdir. DOS only has
                        > one dir.

                        Try using the EXPAND command in the DOS directory:

                        EXPAND DOSSHELL.EX_ DOSSHELL.EXE

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • rkzbos
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 14, 2010
                          Ok, I went to read more about how to use the EXPAND command in my book "Special Edition Using MS-DOS 6.22 3rd Ed, by Jim Cooper.

                          I did what you told me, and it worked. BTW I don't really use the Dosshell that much, I find working with the command line alot more fun. I only mentioned Dosshell as an example of many commands that are not working.

                          Anyway, should I EXPAND each thing that is listed in C:\DOS that ends with _ ? And put them back in C:\DOS ?

                          Thanks,
                          Jack

                          > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, rkzbos wrote:
                          >
                          > > I forgot to mention that after I go to the DOS dir, many of the files
                          > > end with a _ (underscore). For example DOSSHELL.EX_ and COMMANDS.TX_
                          > >
                          > > Also, I guess I did not do a directory of the subdir. DOS only has
                          > > one dir.
                          >
                          > Try using the EXPAND command in the DOS directory:
                          >
                          > EXPAND DOSSHELL.EX_ DOSSHELL.EXE
                          >

                          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                        • rkzbos
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 14, 2010
                            Also, I just checked the /dos dir and DOSSHELL.EXE is listed but also
                            DOSSHEL.EX_ is still there. Should I deleted it?

                            Jack

                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "rkzbos" <jackrossini@...> wrote:

                            > Ok, I went to read more about how to use the EXPAND command in my book "Special Edition Using MS-DOS 6.22 3rd Ed, by Jim Cooper.
                            >
                            > I did what you told me, and it worked. BTW I don't really use the Dosshell that much, I find working with the command line alot more fun. I only mentioned Dosshell as an example of many commands that are not working.
                            >
                            > Anyway, should I EXPAND each thing that is listed in C:\DOS that ends with _ ? And put them back in C:\DOS ?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Jack
                            >
                            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Loewen <mloewen@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > On Mon, 14 Jun 2010, rkzbos wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > I forgot to mention that after I go to the DOS dir, many of the files
                            > > > end with a _ (underscore). For example DOSSHELL.EX_ and COMMANDS.TX_
                            > > >
                            > > > Also, I guess I did not do a directory of the subdir. DOS only has
                            > > > one dir.
                            > >
                            > > Try using the EXPAND command in the DOS directory:
                            > >
                            > > EXPAND DOSSHELL.EX_ DOSSHELL.EXE
                            > >

                            > > Mike Loewen mloewen@
                            > > Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/

                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 15, 2010
                              On Tue, 15 Jun 2010, rkzbos wrote:

                              > Ok, I went to read more about how to use the EXPAND command in my book "Special Edition Using MS-DOS 6.22 3rd Ed, by Jim Cooper.
                              >
                              > I did what you told me, and it worked. BTW I don't really use the Dosshell that much, I find working with the command line alot more fun. I only mentioned Dosshell as an example of many commands that are not working.
                              >
                              > Anyway, should I EXPAND each thing that is listed in C:\DOS that ends
                              with _ ? And put them back in C:\DOS ?

                              Yes, expand anything that ends with the underscore. You can delete the
                              compressed files when you're sure they're working.

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 26, 2010
                                Jack,

                                I'll email you a file that you can use to create a set of "factory fresh" DOS 6.22 setup diskettes. You should reformat the HD and start over with the new diskettes. Your problems began when you copied the DOS disks rather than running "setup." The DOS setup script expands each file as it copies it to the HD.

                                If you plan to install Windows 3.x, you will not need to find a mouse driver as it is included. For non-Windows, any recent Microsoft Mouse driver will work.

                                Jim

                                On 6/14/2010 12:47 AM, rkzbos wrote:

                                In C:\ and in C:\DOS when I type "path" I get "PATH=C:\DOS"

                                Jack

                                > are you operating from the DOS subdirectory, or do you have PATH statement
                                > (type PATH at the c prompt)? If not, you'll get a file not found error.

                                _._,___