Re: [midatlanticretro] about later 80's software (OT?)

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 5, 2010
      Bill,

      I need to read the list more often.

      In one of those ironies of the world of computers, OS/2 was considered
      by some to be an "open" product. This was in contrast to Novell Netware
      which was "proprietary". OS/2 was "open" (always in quotes) because it
      was available from multiple vendors which somehow made it a "standard".
      I wanted General Foods to adopt Netware as the company-sponsored LAN
      because it was the defacto LAN standard of the day. My opinion carried
      little weight and we adopted IBM LAN Server as the company LAN. We were,
      after all an IBM shop. GF tried to wait for someone to produce a "pure"
      ISO-based network and when DEC actually did that (DECNet 5) we couldn't
      buy it because of an anti-DEC bias. Company politics can sure be fun.

      OS/2 was available from Microsoft (LAN Manager), IBM (LAN Server) and
      3COM (3+Open). Each version was different and incompatible in subtle
      ways. Naturally the 3COM product was based on true Ethernet (XNS) rather
      than the IEEE 802.3 version we all came to know and love. IBM wanted you
      to use Token Ring but also supported most flavors of Ethernet. The
      Microsoft product was sold OEM by the hardware manufacturers so it
      supported whatever Compaq gave you.

      The technology upon which the better known LANMAN and LAN Server was
      based came from 3COM 3+Share. The deal between 3COM and Microsoft was
      what cost Bob Metcalf his job at the company he founded. 3COM 3+Open is
      quite rare. If I ever find copies, I have a 3COM 3Station disk-less
      workstation to run it on.

      Jim