Re: [midatlanticretro] The ad - update

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010

      evan@... wrote:
      I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.

      go catch the World Science Festival too

      Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be?  :)

      use the Binary !

      =Dan
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
        IBM PC

        > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good
        suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to
        include all the ideas.

        > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for
        one picture, what should it be? :)

        > - Evan, en route to South St. Seaport

      • Justin Jernigan
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
          I like the IBM 5150 idea, an older generation would recognize it as classic and its form factor is close to modern PCs so younger generations will relate to it as well. Older tape drive units (like the Univac's) seem to have a universal recognition. I don't think a diskette image (like a 5.25") would cross the generation gap, but then I keep thinking about how the image of an Atari 2600 joystick does. It boils down to target audience. Want to attract younger eyes (8-12 year olds), then use a joystick image. Want to attract Gen X'ers (the likely parents of 8-12 year olds)- an IBM 5150, Apple II or Commodore 64 image. Want to attract Gen X hax0rs, then maybe a picture of Evan hunched over the IMSAI with an acoustic modem in the background.

          I love this topic, I am picturing myself as 'some guy' sitting down at a local diner table scoping out the placemat ads....

          > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.
          >
          > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be? :)
          >
          > - Evan, en route to South St. Seaport

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
            evan@... wrote:
            > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.
            >
            > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be? :)

            S/360 Model 91 Operator's Console with open-reel tape drives in the
            background.

            Peace... Sridhar
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 5, 2010
              Use a closeup picture of any PDP control panel - just screams old computer.

              No clever old jargon - use words people eating in a diner understand.

              Jim

              Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

              > evan@... <mailto:evan%40snarc.net> wrote:
              > > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the
              > good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll
              > try to include all the ideas.
              > >
              > > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room
              > for one picture, what should it be? :)
              >
              > S/360 Model 91 Operator's Console with open-reel tape drives in the
              > background.
              >
              > Peace... Sridhar

            • jack99rubin
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
                > No clever old jargon - use words people eating in a diner understand.

                Free Dessert!
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
                  "Old Computer Show"

                  In a way it might make more sense to have a picture of a generic 70's or
                  80's looking people using computers, not what the computer actually is.

                  bd

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
                    <chuckle/>