Re: The ad - update

  • brian_cirulnick
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

      > Is that supposed to read "Giants Brains" or "Giant Brains"?

      ====

      Dunno, but those Giants Brains are tearing down a stadium right off route 3...

      Personally, I don't think the Giants Brains could fill a dixie cup, but that's just me....
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
        I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.

        Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be? :)

        - Evan, en route to South St. Seaport
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010

          evan@... wrote:
          I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.

          go catch the World Science Festival too

          Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be?  :)

          use the Binary !

          =Dan
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
            IBM PC

            > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good
            suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to
            include all the ideas.

            > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for
            one picture, what should it be? :)

            > - Evan, en route to South St. Seaport

          • Justin Jernigan
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
              I like the IBM 5150 idea, an older generation would recognize it as classic and its form factor is close to modern PCs so younger generations will relate to it as well. Older tape drive units (like the Univac's) seem to have a universal recognition. I don't think a diskette image (like a 5.25") would cross the generation gap, but then I keep thinking about how the image of an Atari 2600 joystick does. It boils down to target audience. Want to attract younger eyes (8-12 year olds), then use a joystick image. Want to attract Gen X'ers (the likely parents of 8-12 year olds)- an IBM 5150, Apple II or Commodore 64 image. Want to attract Gen X hax0rs, then maybe a picture of Evan hunched over the IMSAI with an acoustic modem in the background.

              I love this topic, I am picturing myself as 'some guy' sitting down at a local diner table scoping out the placemat ads....

              > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.
              >
              > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be? :)
              >
              > - Evan, en route to South St. Seaport

            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
                evan@... wrote:
                > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.
                >
                > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be? :)

                S/360 Model 91 Operator's Console with open-reel tape drives in the
                background.

                Peace... Sridhar
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 5, 2010
                  Use a closeup picture of any PDP control panel - just screams old computer.

                  No clever old jargon - use words people eating in a diner understand.

                  Jim

                  Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                  > evan@... <mailto:evan%40snarc.net> wrote:
                  > > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the
                  > good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll
                  > try to include all the ideas.
                  > >
                  > > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room
                  > for one picture, what should it be? :)
                  >
                  > S/360 Model 91 Operator's Console with open-reel tape drives in the
                  > background.
                  >
                  > Peace... Sridhar

                • jack99rubin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
                    > No clever old jargon - use words people eating in a diner understand.

                    Free Dessert!
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
                      "Old Computer Show"

                      In a way it might make more sense to have a picture of a generic 70's or
                      80's looking people using computers, not what the computer actually is.

                      bd

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
                        <chuckle/>