Re: [midatlanticretro] The ad - update

  • Timothy J Fagan
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
      I vote for the BASIC listing, but then again, I'm the kind of nerd/geek you're looking for. :-)

      --Timster--

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 4, 2010, at 11:45 AM, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      WHy not merge them together?

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
        I like the BASIC version. Would be cool to work in additional terminolgy. i.e. IF/THEN, PEEK/POKE, RUN, SAVE, REM

        That said, the BASIC version is slanted to MARCH 'the club', does it serve MARCH 'the museum'? Is our demographic the 8-12 year old potentional patron, or the parent of the 8-12 year old? From our conversation with Fred this week, a lot of the other member groups edge toward the parent (or parents of the parent in some cases), but we have a chance to grab the attention of the 8-12 year old while the other ads suit the older crowd. By viewing the full advertisement, the adult will think -- cool, I can go see XXXX, and great the kids will love the computer thing.

        Can we work in modern day references? Before the iPad there was the Newton. Before Facebook & Twitter there was the BBS. Before World of Warcraft there was Advent.

        > Hi all -- I see lots of good feedback so far. I'm out all day; will send revisions tonight.
        >
        > Do we all prefer the mainstream version or the BASIC version?

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010

          evan@... wrote:
          Hi all -- I see lots of good feedback so far. I'm out all day; will send revisions tonight.

          Do we all prefer the mainstream version or the BASIC version?

          Mainstream version is good for the mass audience
          prefer geek over nerd too
          Add FORTRAN in there before/after BASIC, old skool folks recognize that easily
          I would say "running CP/M" to keep it short
          I would *also* add - "There's was a World before Windows"
          But then it might be getting too sarcastic to represent an institution ;)

          AND, there's always room for graphics :)

          This is sized for the spot you mentioned, 2.5" x 3.25" at 300DPI

          I hope you like it.
          =Dan

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
            Dan Roganti wrote:
            >> Hi all -- I see lots of good feedback so far. I'm out all day; will send revisions tonight.
            >>
            >> Do we all prefer the mainstream version or the BASIC version?
            >>

            > Mainstream version is good for the mass audience
            > prefer geek over nerd too
            > Add FORTRAN in there before/after BASIC, old skool folks recognize that
            > easily
            > I would say "running CP/M" to keep it short
            > I would *also* add - "There's was a World before Windows"
            > But then it might be getting too sarcastic to represent an institution ;)

            Is that supposed to read "Giants Brains" or "Giant Brains"?

            Peace... Sridhar
          • brian_cirulnick
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

              > Is that supposed to read "Giants Brains" or "Giant Brains"?

              ====

              Dunno, but those Giants Brains are tearing down a stadium right off route 3...

              Personally, I don't think the Giants Brains could fill a dixie cup, but that's just me....
            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
                I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.

                Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be? :)

                - Evan, en route to South St. Seaport
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010

                  evan@... wrote:
                  I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.

                  go catch the World Science Festival too

                  Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be?  :)

                  use the Binary !

                  =Dan
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
                    IBM PC

                    > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good
                    suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to
                    include all the ideas.

                    > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for
                    one picture, what should it be? :)

                    > - Evan, en route to South St. Seaport

                  • Justin Jernigan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
                      I like the IBM 5150 idea, an older generation would recognize it as classic and its form factor is close to modern PCs so younger generations will relate to it as well. Older tape drive units (like the Univac's) seem to have a universal recognition. I don't think a diskette image (like a 5.25") would cross the generation gap, but then I keep thinking about how the image of an Atari 2600 joystick does. It boils down to target audience. Want to attract younger eyes (8-12 year olds), then use a joystick image. Want to attract Gen X'ers (the likely parents of 8-12 year olds)- an IBM 5150, Apple II or Commodore 64 image. Want to attract Gen X hax0rs, then maybe a picture of Evan hunched over the IMSAI with an acoustic modem in the background.

                      I love this topic, I am picturing myself as 'some guy' sitting down at a local diner table scoping out the placemat ads....

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 4, 2010
                        evan@... wrote:
                        > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll try to include all the ideas.
                        >
                        > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room for one picture, what should it be? :)

                        S/360 Model 91 Operator's Console with open-reel tape drives in the
                        background.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 5, 2010
                          Use a closeup picture of any PDP control panel - just screams old computer.

                          No clever old jargon - use words people eating in a diner understand.

                          Jim

                          Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                          > evan@... <mailto:evan%40snarc.net> wrote:
                          > > I'm on a bus to NYC so I've got time to kill ... Glad to see all the
                          > good suggestions for our ad. This weekend I will make a new one and I'll
                          > try to include all the ideas.
                          > >
                          > > Here's a new question to keep you all very busy: if we only have room
                          > for one picture, what should it be? :)
                          >
                          > S/360 Model 91 Operator's Console with open-reel tape drives in the
                          > background.
                          >
                          > Peace... Sridhar

                        • jack99rubin
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
                            > No clever old jargon - use words people eating in a diner understand.

                            Free Dessert!
                          • Bill Degnan
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
                              "Old Computer Show"

                              In a way it might make more sense to have a picture of a generic 70's or
                              80's looking people using computers, not what the computer actually is.

                              bd

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
                                <chuckle/>