Re: [midatlanticretro] Another idea for the ad

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4 7:05 AM
      Mike Loewen wrote:
      >> Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
      >>
      >> http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf
      >
      > I prefer "geek" to "nerd". :-)

      Same here.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Curt @ Atari Museum
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4 10:33 AM
        Evan

        The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
        hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach
        out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
        Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
        one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current
        text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
        People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
        their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
        the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
        tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.

        To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
        the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
        only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
        look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
        for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
        larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
        overall.

        Curt
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4 11:04 AM
          Rather than CP/M how about "remember using a DOS prompt" might be better

          > The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
          > hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach

          > out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
          > Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
          > one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current

          > text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
          > People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
          > their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
          > the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
          > tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.
          >

          > To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
          > the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
          > only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
          > look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
          > for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
          > larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
          > overall.
          >
          > Curt

        • ysgdhio
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4 3:37 PM
            What's a "Giants Brains"?
          • BDegnan
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4 3:43 PM
                > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                I guess I should have said "there's a typo"
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5 1:21 AM
                  BDegnan wrote:
                  > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                  That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                  Peace... Sridhar
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5 4:32 AM
                    Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                    BDegnan wrote:

                    Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                    That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                    Peace...  Sridhar

                    Not sure what you mean.

                    The book is :

                    Giant Brains

                    or Machines that Think
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5 3:27 PM
                      Yes. Curt gets it and Bill is beginning to...