Re: [midatlanticretro] Another idea for the ad

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      The email address should match the domain of the organization
      bd

      evan@... wrote:
      > Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
      >
      > http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf
      >
      > Personally I like the clever BASIC version. But this other version is better for a mass audience.
      >
      > There isn't any room to include graphics without sacrificing our message.
      >
      > Thoughts?

    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
        Mike Loewen wrote:
        >> Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
        >>
        >> http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf
        >
        > I prefer "geek" to "nerd". :-)

        Same here.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Curt @ Atari Museum
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
          Evan

          The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
          hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach
          out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
          Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
          one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current
          text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
          People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
          their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
          the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
          tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.

          To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
          the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
          only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
          look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
          for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
          larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
          overall.

          Curt
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
            Rather than CP/M how about "remember using a DOS prompt" might be better

            > The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
            > hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach

            > out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
            > Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
            > one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current

            > text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
            > People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
            > their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
            > the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
            > tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.
            >

            > To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
            > the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
            > only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
            > look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
            > for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
            > larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
            > overall.
            >
            > Curt

          • ysgdhio
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
              What's a "Giants Brains"?
            • BDegnan
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                  > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                  I guess I should have said "there's a typo"
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                    BDegnan wrote:
                    > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                    That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                    Peace... Sridhar
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                      Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                      BDegnan wrote:

                      Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                      That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                      Peace...  Sridhar

                      Not sure what you mean.

                      The book is :

                      Giant Brains

                      or Machines that Think
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                        Yes. Curt gets it and Bill is beginning to...