Re: [midatlanticretro] Another idea for the ad

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      > Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in
      > my previous message:

      Should "loading CP/M in octal" be hex? I thought most micros used hex since
      that fits 8 bits better.

      > Thoughts?

      Do I remember correctly that we have stopped our regular open time?
      If not we should list it. I would be more likely to go to something that
      had normal hours vs contact for tours.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
        The email address should match the domain of the organization
        bd

        evan@... wrote:
        > Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
        >
        > http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf
        >
        > Personally I like the clever BASIC version. But this other version is better for a mass audience.
        >
        > There isn't any room to include graphics without sacrificing our message.
        >
        > Thoughts?

      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
          Mike Loewen wrote:
          >> Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
          >>
          >> http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf
          >
          > I prefer "geek" to "nerd". :-)

          Same here.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Curt @ Atari Museum
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
            Evan

            The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
            hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach
            out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
            Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
            one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current
            text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
            People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
            their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
            the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
            tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.

            To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
            the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
            only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
            look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
            for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
            larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
            overall.

            Curt
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
              Rather than CP/M how about "remember using a DOS prompt" might be better

              > The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
              > hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach

              > out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
              > Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
              > one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current

              > text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
              > People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
              > their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
              > the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
              > tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.
              >

              > To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
              > the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
              > only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
              > look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
              > for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
              > larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
              > overall.
              >
              > Curt

            • ysgdhio
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                What's a "Giants Brains"?
              • BDegnan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                    > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                    I guess I should have said "there's a typo"
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                      BDegnan wrote:
                      > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                      That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                      Peace... Sridhar
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                        Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                        BDegnan wrote:

                        Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                        That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                        Peace...  Sridhar

                        Not sure what you mean.

                        The book is :

                        Giant Brains

                        or Machines that Think
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                          Yes. Curt gets it and Bill is beginning to...