Re: [midatlanticretro] Another idea for the ad

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, evan@... wrote:

      > Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
      >
      > http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf

      I prefer "geek" to "nerd". :-)

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
        > Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in
        > my previous message:

        Should "loading CP/M in octal" be hex? I thought most micros used hex since
        that fits 8 bits better.

        > Thoughts?

        Do I remember correctly that we have stopped our regular open time?
        If not we should list it. I would be more likely to go to something that
        had normal hours vs contact for tours.
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
          The email address should match the domain of the organization
          bd

          evan@... wrote:
          > Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
          >
          > http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf
          >
          > Personally I like the clever BASIC version. But this other version is better for a mass audience.
          >
          > There isn't any room to include graphics without sacrificing our message.
          >
          > Thoughts?

        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
            Mike Loewen wrote:
            >> Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
            >>
            >> http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf
            >
            > I prefer "geek" to "nerd". :-)

            Same here.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Curt @ Atari Museum
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
              Evan

              The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
              hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach
              out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
              Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
              one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current
              text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
              People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
              their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
              the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
              tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.

              To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
              the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
              only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
              look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
              for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
              larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
              overall.

              Curt
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                Rather than CP/M how about "remember using a DOS prompt" might be better

                > The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
                > hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach

                > out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
                > Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
                > one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current

                > text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
                > People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
                > their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
                > the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
                > tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.
                >

                > To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
                > the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
                > only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
                > look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
                > for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
                > larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
                > overall.
                >
                > Curt

              • ysgdhio
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                  What's a "Giants Brains"?
                • BDegnan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                      > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                      I guess I should have said "there's a typo"
                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                        BDegnan wrote:
                        > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                        That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                        Peace... Sridhar
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                          Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                          BDegnan wrote:

                          Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                          That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                          Peace...  Sridhar

                          Not sure what you mean.

                          The book is :

                          Giant Brains

                          or Machines that Think
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                            Yes. Curt gets it and Bill is beginning to...