Another idea for the ad

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
      Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:

      http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf

      Personally I like the clever BASIC version. But this other version is better for a mass audience.

      There isn't any room to include graphics without sacrificing our message.

      Thoughts?
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
        On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, evan@... wrote:

        > Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
        >
        > http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf

        I prefer "geek" to "nerd". :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • David Gesswein
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
          > Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in
          > my previous message:

          Should "loading CP/M in octal" be hex? I thought most micros used hex since
          that fits 8 bits better.

          > Thoughts?

          Do I remember correctly that we have stopped our regular open time?
          If not we should list it. I would be more likely to go to something that
          had normal hours vs contact for tours.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
            The email address should match the domain of the organization
            bd

            evan@... wrote:
            > Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
            >
            > http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf
            >
            > Personally I like the clever BASIC version. But this other version is better for a mass audience.
            >
            > There isn't any room to include graphics without sacrificing our message.
            >
            > Thoughts?

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
              Mike Loewen wrote:
              >> Here's a more mainstream option for the placemat ad, as explained in my previous message:
              >>
              >> http://www.snarc.net/pm1.pdf
              >
              > I prefer "geek" to "nerd". :-)

              Same here.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Curt @ Atari Museum
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                Evan

                The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
                hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach
                out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
                Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
                one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current
                text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
                People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
                their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
                the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
                tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.

                To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
                the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
                only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
                look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
                for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
                larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
                overall.

                Curt
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                  Rather than CP/M how about "remember using a DOS prompt" might be better

                  > The message is a little too narrowly focused and while we, as
                  > hobbyist active in such things get it all, you need to expand your reach

                  > out to the layman and curious - non-active-non-hobbyist crowds...
                  > Throwing in "MainFrame" and "SuperComputer" and putting in a picture of
                  > one or two big iron machines will go a MUCH longer way then your current

                  > text message, that honestly most people will ignore and not read.
                  > People by their very natural are visual and you need something to catch
                  > their eye, draw them in and then get them to read your message, so in
                  > the spirit of drawing in a larger audience you MUST add some visuals,
                  > tone down the "Geeklish" and shorten the message.
                  >

                  > To use what you have now will be a waste of time, money and effort,
                  > the numbers won't change and the same person's coming now will be the
                  > only ones who will give your ad's even a first, nevermind a second
                  > look... I've done a lot of marketing sides of things and you have to go
                  > for mass appeal, and if that means "dumbing it down a little" to get a
                  > larger audience, more interest and more traffic, then do what is right
                  > overall.
                  >
                  > Curt

                • ysgdhio
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                    What's a "Giants Brains"?
                  • BDegnan
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 4, 2010
                        > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                        I guess I should have said "there's a typo"
                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                          BDegnan wrote:
                          > Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                          That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                          Peace... Sridhar
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                            Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                            BDegnan wrote:

                            Ref: The book by Berkeley..Giant Brains or Machines That Think

                            That's "Giant Brain", not "Giants Brain".

                            Peace...  Sridhar

                            Not sure what you mean.

                            The book is :

                            Giant Brains

                            or Machines that Think
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 5, 2010
                              Yes. Curt gets it and Bill is beginning to...