Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
      Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted What is the resistance on the pots? Both Mouser and Digi-Key have suitable pots — not vintage, but workable. I’m guessing 10k, which looks to be pretty common. I remember that Rat Shack had them long ago...need to dig in my boxes.

      On 6/1/10 8:33 AM, "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

      The tough part of making a Cromemco joystick console repro is finding the
      actual joystick module.  After a lot of looking, I found that Futaba T5 series
      RC model transmitters have joystick modules with the correct pot values and
      look about right.  I showed my Cromemco loaded IMSAI chassis at VCF East
      last year.  I think there are some pictures on the web somewhere that show
      how my repros turned out.  Oh, one other thing, if you find a D+7A without
      the edge connector, I have a spare.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
        Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
        From Dan's measurement of his original, combined with the test procedure in the assembly
        instructions, 5k Ohm.  The Futaba joystick pots are 5k and work with all of the original
        software I've been able to run on them.  If you keep an eye on ebay, you can get a transmitter
        much cheaper than what Mouser or Digi-Key charges.  Also, how close are you looking to
        come in terms of physical reproduction?  When I built mine, there was nothing physically
        close available new retail.  Hammond still makes a very close enclosure, both in terms of
        dimensions and color.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
            Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
            None of my pictures of last year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
            of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
              Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted That’s a good picture. What kind of color monitor is that?

              http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                  After the CP/M workshop, I  decided to pull  out one of my Dazzler boards to see if it worked.  The board I pulled out works  (with an old Apple composite monitor)  so I’d like to locate a D+7A  digital/analog board used for the  joystick interface. Does anyone have a spare  working board they’d  be willing to part with? I also have to see if I have the  parts to  make the JS joystick console.

                  I   haven’t tried to load-up any of the Dazzler programs yet but I  plan on doing  that this week and I’ll report   back.

              Thanks!

              Rich

              --
              Rich  Cini
              Collector of Classic Computers
              Build Master and lead engineer,  Altair32 Emulator

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted

                I don't remember the exact part number... I will find the receipt.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                  Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
                  Totally non-vintage but easy to transport.  A little Panasonic security monitor.
                  Got it cheep on ebay, it has some text just barely burned into the phosphors
                  along the bottom.  You can only really see it when the whole field is white.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                    On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                    > Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wantedNone of my pictures of last
                    > year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                    > of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:
                    >
                    > http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                    Try this one:

                    http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2009/IMG_0559.JPG

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  • Richard Cini
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                      Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted That’s a good one, too. I just bid on a Panasonic CCTV monitor — the Apple monitor I have is good but the picture is rectangular rather than square. I also searched my junk boxes and couldn’t find the joystick pots I had from Rat Shack. Short of locating a Futaba T5, does anyone know of another joystick with 5k pots (Radio Shack, TI, Apple, etc.)? At this point I’m not looking for 100% authentic — just close so I can get a prototype breadboarded.

                      I now have LIFE and Kaleidoscope working just fine. It’s pretty!

                      Rich

                      On 6/2/10 9:10 PM, "Mike Loewen" <mloewen@...> wrote:

                      On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                      > Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wantedNone of my pictures of last
                      > year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                      > of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:
                      >
                      > http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                      Try this one:

                      http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2009/IMG_0559.JPG

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010

                        I found another pic from VCF East 6.0
                        This has the two joysticks, mine and Bill's replica
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/ragooman/VCFEast602009#5479988689491458770

                        =Dan

                        Cromemco D+7A board wanted