Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
      Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted Thanks for the tips, Bill. The version of Life I had was bad so I re-created the source from the listing and made an object file for me to test tonight.

      On 6/1/10 8:33 AM, "Bill Sudbrink" <wh.sudbrink@...> wrote:

      The tough part of making a Cromemco joystick console repro is finding the
      actual joystick module.  After a lot of looking, I found that Futaba T5 series
      RC model transmitters have joystick modules with the correct pot values and
      look about right.  I showed my Cromemco loaded IMSAI chassis at VCF East
      last year.  I think there are some pictures on the web somewhere that show
      how my repros turned out.  Oh, one other thing, if you find a D+7A without
      the edge connector, I have a spare.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
        Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
        I have converted all of the dazzler software I could find (paper tape images) into
        CP/M executable files.  I have a cleaned up life.  The only "popular" program I'm
        missing is the animator program.  You will find "magenta martini" on the web,
        but it is only the data file.  You need the actual animator program.  The actual
        name of the program escapes me at the moment, it's in the cromemco games
        disk documentation.  Let me know if you want my files.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
            Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
            From Dan's measurement of his original, combined with the test procedure in the assembly
            instructions, 5k Ohm.  The Futaba joystick pots are 5k and work with all of the original
            software I've been able to run on them.  If you keep an eye on ebay, you can get a transmitter
            much cheaper than what Mouser or Digi-Key charges.  Also, how close are you looking to
            come in terms of physical reproduction?  When I built mine, there was nothing physically
            close available new retail.  Hammond still makes a very close enclosure, both in terms of
            dimensions and color.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
                None of my pictures of last year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                  Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted That’s a good picture. What kind of color monitor is that?

                  http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                      After the CP/M workshop, I  decided to pull  out one of my Dazzler boards to see if it worked.  The board I pulled out works  (with an old Apple composite monitor)  so I’d like to locate a D+7A  digital/analog board used for the  joystick interface. Does anyone have a spare  working board they’d  be willing to part with? I also have to see if I have the  parts to  make the JS joystick console.

                      I   haven’t tried to load-up any of the Dazzler programs yet but I  plan on doing  that this week and I’ll report   back.

                  Thanks!

                  Rich

                  --
                  Rich  Cini
                  Collector of Classic Computers
                  Build Master and lead engineer,  Altair32 Emulator

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                    Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted

                    I don't remember the exact part number... I will find the receipt.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                      Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
                      Totally non-vintage but easy to transport.  A little Panasonic security monitor.
                      Got it cheep on ebay, it has some text just barely burned into the phosphors
                      along the bottom.  You can only really see it when the whole field is white.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                        On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                        > Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wantedNone of my pictures of last
                        > year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                        > of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:
                        >
                        > http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                        Try this one:

                        http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2009/IMG_0559.JPG

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Richard Cini
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                          Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted That’s a good one, too. I just bid on a Panasonic CCTV monitor — the Apple monitor I have is good but the picture is rectangular rather than square. I also searched my junk boxes and couldn’t find the joystick pots I had from Rat Shack. Short of locating a Futaba T5, does anyone know of another joystick with 5k pots (Radio Shack, TI, Apple, etc.)? At this point I’m not looking for 100% authentic — just close so I can get a prototype breadboarded.

                          I now have LIFE and Kaleidoscope working just fine. It’s pretty!

                          Rich

                          On 6/2/10 9:10 PM, "Mike Loewen" <mloewen@...> wrote:

                          On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                          > Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wantedNone of my pictures of last
                          > year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                          > of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:
                          >
                          > http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                          Try this one:

                          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2009/IMG_0559.JPG

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010

                            I found another pic from VCF East 6.0
                            This has the two joysticks, mine and Bill's replica
                            http://picasaweb.google.com/ragooman/VCFEast602009#5479988689491458770

                            =Dan

                            Cromemco D+7A board wanted