RE: [midatlanticretro] MFM Hard Drives

  • Kelly D. Leavitt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      Two tips:
      1) With the internal controller, ALWAYS park the drive. They last much longer that way. There is a flag to have the kernal auto park. Turn it on.

      2) If you have a drive with more than 8 heads, you can still use it. These drives seem to be much more reliable. Just cover PIN 2 of the controll connector (the 34 pin connector) with tape, or sever the trace to it. This is head 8 select, or Reduced Write Current on older drives.

      I have several that still work, but won't part with them.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

        > Two tips:
        > 1) With the internal controller, ALWAYS park the drive. They last much longer that way. There is a flag to have the kernal auto park. Turn it on.
        >
        > 2) If you have a drive with more than 8 heads, you can still use it. These drives seem to be much more reliable. Just cover PIN 2 of the controll connector (the 34 pin connector) with tape, or sever the trace to it. This is head 8 select, or Reduced Write Current on older drives.

        Good advice. I thought I had a winner with an ST-4038, but it starts
        to throw lots of errors after it's been running for a while. I have one
        more ST-4038 to try, and a ST-4096 (9 heads).

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...