RE: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1 5:33 AM
      Cromemco D+7A board wanted
      The tough part of making a Cromemco joystick console repro is finding the
      actual joystick module.  After a lot of looking, I found that Futaba T5 series
      RC model transmitters have joystick modules with the correct pot values and
      look about right.  I showed my Cromemco loaded IMSAI chassis at VCF East
      last year.  I think there are some pictures on the web somewhere that show
      how my repros turned out.  Oh, one other thing, if you find a D+7A without
      the edge connector, I have a spare.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1 5:03 PM
          Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
          I have converted all of the dazzler software I could find (paper tape images) into
          CP/M executable files.  I have a cleaned up life.  The only "popular" program I'm
          missing is the animator program.  You will find "magenta martini" on the web,
          but it is only the data file.  You need the actual animator program.  The actual
          name of the program escapes me at the moment, it's in the cromemco games
          disk documentation.  Let me know if you want my files.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2 5:28 PM
              Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
              From Dan's measurement of his original, combined with the test procedure in the assembly
              instructions, 5k Ohm.  The Futaba joystick pots are 5k and work with all of the original
              software I've been able to run on them.  If you keep an eye on ebay, you can get a transmitter
              much cheaper than what Mouser or Digi-Key charges.  Also, how close are you looking to
              come in terms of physical reproduction?  When I built mine, there was nothing physically
              close available new retail.  Hammond still makes a very close enclosure, both in terms of
              dimensions and color.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2 5:37 PM
                  Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
                  None of my pictures of last year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                  of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2 5:43 PM
                    Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted That’s a good picture. What kind of color monitor is that?

                    http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                        After the CP/M workshop, I  decided to pull  out one of my Dazzler boards to see if it worked.  The board I pulled out works  (with an old Apple composite monitor)  so I’d like to locate a D+7A  digital/analog board used for the  joystick interface. Does anyone have a spare  working board they’d  be willing to part with? I also have to see if I have the  parts to  make the JS joystick console.

                        I   haven’t tried to load-up any of the Dazzler programs yet but I  plan on doing  that this week and I’ll report   back.

                    Thanks!

                    Rich

                    --
                    Rich  Cini
                    Collector of Classic Computers
                    Build Master and lead engineer,  Altair32 Emulator

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2 5:52 PM
                      Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted

                      I don't remember the exact part number... I will find the receipt.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2 5:56 PM
                        Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
                        Totally non-vintage but easy to transport.  A little Panasonic security monitor.
                        Got it cheep on ebay, it has some text just barely burned into the phosphors
                        along the bottom.  You can only really see it when the whole field is white.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2 6:10 PM
                          On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                          > Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wantedNone of my pictures of last
                          > year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                          > of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:
                          >
                          > http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                          Try this one:

                          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2009/IMG_0559.JPG

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • Richard Cini
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 2 6:31 PM
                            Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted That’s a good one, too. I just bid on a Panasonic CCTV monitor — the Apple monitor I have is good but the picture is rectangular rather than square. I also searched my junk boxes and couldn’t find the joystick pots I had from Rat Shack. Short of locating a Futaba T5, does anyone know of another joystick with 5k pots (Radio Shack, TI, Apple, etc.)? At this point I’m not looking for 100% authentic — just close so I can get a prototype breadboarded.

                            I now have LIFE and Kaleidoscope working just fine. It’s pretty!

                            Rich

                            On 6/2/10 9:10 PM, "Mike Loewen" <mloewen@...> wrote:

                            On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                            > Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wantedNone of my pictures of last
                            > year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                            > of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:
                            >
                            > http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                            Try this one:

                            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2009/IMG_0559.JPG

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 7 4:23 AM

                              I found another pic from VCF East 6.0
                              This has the two joysticks, mine and Bill's replica
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/ragooman/VCFEast602009#5479988689491458770

                              =Dan