MFM Hard Drives

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2010
      I'm rapidly running out of options for a good hard drive for my Tandy
      6000. Does anyone have a known working drive they'd part with (sell or
      trade)? Something 30MB or larger, 8 heads or less.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • BDegnan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        Old mFM drives that work are quite rare. I have many dead mfm's..I wish I had one or two myself. Their value is getting into to $100's

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
          Two tips:
          1) With the internal controller, ALWAYS park the drive. They last much longer that way. There is a flag to have the kernal auto park. Turn it on.

          2) If you have a drive with more than 8 heads, you can still use it. These drives seem to be much more reliable. Just cover PIN 2 of the controll connector (the 34 pin connector) with tape, or sever the trace to it. This is head 8 select, or Reduced Write Current on older drives.

          I have several that still work, but won't part with them.

          I'm rapidly running out of options for a good hard drive for my Tandy
          6000. Does anyone have a known working drive they'd part with (sell or
          trade)? Something 30MB or larger, 8 heads or less.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
            On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

            > Two tips:
            > 1) With the internal controller, ALWAYS park the drive. They last much longer that way. There is a flag to have the kernal auto park. Turn it on.
            >
            > 2) If you have a drive with more than 8 heads, you can still use it. These drives seem to be much more reliable. Just cover PIN 2 of the controll connector (the 34 pin connector) with tape, or sever the trace to it. This is head 8 select, or Reduced Write Current on older drives.

            Good advice. I thought I had a winner with an ST-4038, but it starts
            to throw lots of errors after it's been running for a while. I have one
            more ST-4038 to try, and a ST-4096 (9 heads).

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...