Cromemco D+7A board wanted

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2010
      Cromemco D+7A board wanted All --

          After the CP/M workshop, I decided to pull out one of my Dazzler boards to see if it worked. The board I pulled out works (with an old Apple composite monitor) so I’d like to locate a D+7A digital/analog board used for the joystick interface. Does anyone have a spare working board they’d be willing to part with? I also have to see if I have the parts to make the JS joystick console.

          I haven’t tried to load-up any of the Dazzler programs yet but I plan on doing that this week and I’ll report back.

      Thanks!

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
        Cromemco D+7A board wanted
        The tough part of making a Cromemco joystick console repro is finding the
        actual joystick module.  After a lot of looking, I found that Futaba T5 series
        RC model transmitters have joystick modules with the correct pot values and
        look about right.  I showed my Cromemco loaded IMSAI chassis at VCF East
        last year.  I think there are some pictures on the web somewhere that show
        how my repros turned out.  Oh, one other thing, if you find a D+7A without
        the edge connector, I have a spare.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2010
            Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
            I have converted all of the dazzler software I could find (paper tape images) into
            CP/M executable files.  I have a cleaned up life.  The only "popular" program I'm
            missing is the animator program.  You will find "magenta martini" on the web,
            but it is only the data file.  You need the actual animator program.  The actual
            name of the program escapes me at the moment, it's in the cromemco games
            disk documentation.  Let me know if you want my files.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
                From Dan's measurement of his original, combined with the test procedure in the assembly
                instructions, 5k Ohm.  The Futaba joystick pots are 5k and work with all of the original
                software I've been able to run on them.  If you keep an eye on ebay, you can get a transmitter
                much cheaper than what Mouser or Digi-Key charges.  Also, how close are you looking to
                come in terms of physical reproduction?  When I built mine, there was nothing physically
                close available new retail.  Hammond still makes a very close enclosure, both in terms of
                dimensions and color.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                    Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
                    None of my pictures of last year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                    of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                      Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted That’s a good picture. What kind of color monitor is that?

                      http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                          After the CP/M workshop, I  decided to pull  out one of my Dazzler boards to see if it worked.  The board I pulled out works  (with an old Apple composite monitor)  so I’d like to locate a D+7A  digital/analog board used for the  joystick interface. Does anyone have a spare  working board they’d  be willing to part with? I also have to see if I have the  parts to  make the JS joystick console.

                          I   haven’t tried to load-up any of the Dazzler programs yet but I  plan on doing  that this week and I’ll report   back.

                      Thanks!

                      Rich

                      --
                      Rich  Cini
                      Collector of Classic Computers
                      Build Master and lead engineer,  Altair32 Emulator

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                        Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted

                        I don't remember the exact part number... I will find the receipt.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                          Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted
                          Totally non-vintage but easy to transport.  A little Panasonic security monitor.
                          Got it cheep on ebay, it has some text just barely burned into the phosphors
                          along the bottom.  You can only really see it when the whole field is white.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                            On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                            > Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wantedNone of my pictures of last
                            > year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                            > of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:
                            >
                            > http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                            Try this one:

                            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2009/IMG_0559.JPG

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • Richard Cini
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 2, 2010
                              Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wanted That’s a good one, too. I just bid on a Panasonic CCTV monitor — the Apple monitor I have is good but the picture is rectangular rather than square. I also searched my junk boxes and couldn’t find the joystick pots I had from Rat Shack. Short of locating a Futaba T5, does anyone know of another joystick with 5k pots (Radio Shack, TI, Apple, etc.)? At this point I’m not looking for 100% authentic — just close so I can get a prototype breadboarded.

                              I now have LIFE and Kaleidoscope working just fine. It’s pretty!

                              Rich

                              On 6/2/10 9:10 PM, "Mike Loewen" <mloewen@...> wrote:

                              On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                              > Re: [midatlanticretro] Cromemco D+7A board wantedNone of my pictures of last
                              > year's VCF East turned out but here is a pretty good picture
                              > of my Cromemco loaded IMSAI, running kscope and showing the joysticks:
                              >
                              > http://page2pixel.rutgers.edu/vcf6/?px=%2FIMG_0934.jpg

                              Try this one:

                              http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VCF-East2009/IMG_0559.JPG

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
                            • Dan Roganti
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 7, 2010

                                I found another pic from VCF East 6.0
                                This has the two joysticks, mine and Bill's replica
                                http://picasaweb.google.com/ragooman/VCFEast602009#5479988689491458770

                                =Dan