Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: NJ Hackerspace grand opening

    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2010

      Our friends in FUBAR Labs (NJ hackerspace) recently got their space in central NJ.

      I like the name :)

      They insist it's "Fair Use Building And Research".    :)
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2010
        I'm rapidly running out of options for a good hard drive for my Tandy
        6000. Does anyone have a known working drive they'd part with (sell or
        trade)? Something 30MB or larger, 8 heads or less.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • BDegnan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1 5:10 AM
          Old mFM drives that work are quite rare. I have many dead mfm's..I wish I had one or two myself. Their value is getting into to $100's

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1 6:00 AM
            Two tips:
            1) With the internal controller, ALWAYS park the drive. They last much longer that way. There is a flag to have the kernal auto park. Turn it on.

            2) If you have a drive with more than 8 heads, you can still use it. These drives seem to be much more reliable. Just cover PIN 2 of the controll connector (the 34 pin connector) with tape, or sever the trace to it. This is head 8 select, or Reduced Write Current on older drives.

            I have several that still work, but won't part with them.

            I'm rapidly running out of options for a good hard drive for my Tandy
            6000. Does anyone have a known working drive they'd part with (sell or
            trade)? Something 30MB or larger, 8 heads or less.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1 6:20 AM
              On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

              > Two tips:
              > 1) With the internal controller, ALWAYS park the drive. They last much longer that way. There is a flag to have the kernal auto park. Turn it on.
              >
              > 2) If you have a drive with more than 8 heads, you can still use it. These drives seem to be much more reliable. Just cover PIN 2 of the controll connector (the 34 pin connector) with tape, or sever the trace to it. This is head 8 select, or Reduced Write Current on older drives.

              Good advice. I thought I had a winner with an ST-4038, but it starts
              to throw lots of errors after it's been running for a while. I have one
              more ST-4038 to try, and a ST-4096 (9 heads).

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...