OT: NJ Hackerspace grand opening

    Message 1 of 7 , May 30, 2010
      Our friends in FUBAR Labs (NJ hackerspace) recently got their space in central NJ.  They opted to go a different route vs. having space at InfoAge, but that's okay.  They're having an open house on Sat., June 5.  I plan to go and I hope to see other MARCHins there.

      Here's the link: http://fubarlabs.com/2010/05/open-house/
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 7 , May 31, 2010

        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        Our friends in FUBAR Labs (NJ hackerspace) recently got their space in central NJ.

        I like the name :)

        =Dan

        Message 3 of 7 , May 31, 2010

          Our friends in FUBAR Labs (NJ hackerspace) recently got their space in central NJ.

          I like the name :)

          They insist it's "Fair Use Building And Research".    :)
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 7 , May 31, 2010
            I'm rapidly running out of options for a good hard drive for my Tandy
            6000. Does anyone have a known working drive they'd part with (sell or
            trade)? Something 30MB or larger, 8 heads or less.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • BDegnan
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
              Old mFM drives that work are quite rare. I have many dead mfm's..I wish I had one or two myself. Their value is getting into to $100's

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
                Two tips:
                1) With the internal controller, ALWAYS park the drive. They last much longer that way. There is a flag to have the kernal auto park. Turn it on.

                2) If you have a drive with more than 8 heads, you can still use it. These drives seem to be much more reliable. Just cover PIN 2 of the controll connector (the 34 pin connector) with tape, or sever the trace to it. This is head 8 select, or Reduced Write Current on older drives.

                I have several that still work, but won't part with them.

                I'm rapidly running out of options for a good hard drive for my Tandy
                6000. Does anyone have a known working drive they'd part with (sell or
                trade)? Something 30MB or larger, 8 heads or less.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@... <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
                  On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

                  > Two tips:
                  > 1) With the internal controller, ALWAYS park the drive. They last much longer that way. There is a flag to have the kernal auto park. Turn it on.
                  >
                  > 2) If you have a drive with more than 8 heads, you can still use it. These drives seem to be much more reliable. Just cover PIN 2 of the controll connector (the 34 pin connector) with tape, or sever the trace to it. This is head 8 select, or Reduced Write Current on older drives.

                  Good advice. I thought I had a winner with an ST-4038, but it starts
                  to throw lots of errors after it's been running for a while. I have one
                  more ST-4038 to try, and a ST-4096 (9 heads).

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...