Re: [midatlanticretro] OT vintage TV emergency rescue (TONIGHT!)

  • Bob Schwier
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2010
      Where is the set?
      bs

      --- On Wed, 5/26/10, evan@... <evan@...> wrote:

      From: evan@... <evan@...>
      Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] OT vintage TV emergency rescue (TONIGHT!)
      To: "MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 12:09 AM

      I recommend posting on the NJARC list. They're an antique radio club, but they know a lot of antique TV too.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 26, 2010
        --- On Wed, 5/26/10, m <msimonsmail@...> wrote:

        > I'm not sure where else to turn... I'm trying to
        > decide whether or not I should go rescue this vintage
        > 1949/1950 television in a nice wood case or not.
        > Basically, it's either tonight, or never. (in other words,
        > it's out in the trash for tomorrow's pickup..)

        I would go out and get it - but then again, I've got a real soft spot for televisions. :)

        > Or does anybody have Antique Trader's TV and Radio price
        > Guide and can look it up for me?

        Eh.. Price guides for this stuff don't usually mean anything. TV's inherently aren't worth much, even to antique dealers. Collecting old TV's is not a hobby about money - it's about fun. The only sets that are worth money are the exceptionally early/rare sets.

        > It's very attractive but the logistics of rescuing it are a
        > bit hard for me, and I don't know

        You should try. It would be a fun project. I, for one, love old TV's. Fixing them is a lot of fun. Philcos of that era were pretty well made, aside from the fact that they're always infested with those *horrible* black striped capacitors. But, they're usually pretty easy to work on.

        -Ian
      • Jim Kalin
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2010

          I don’t collect vintage TV’s but I’ve always wanted a vintage console  TV and stereo.  I say get it while you can, LOL.

          Jim