OT vintage TV emergency rescue (TONIGHT!)

  • m
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2010
      Greetings,

      I'm not sure where else to turn... I'm trying to decide whether or not I should go rescue this vintage 1949/1950 television in a nice wood case or not. Basically, it's either tonight, or never. (in other words, it's out in the trash for tomorrow's pickup..)

      I believe it's a Philco 50t-1404 but I may be slightly incorrect on that. It looks something like this: http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-Philco-50T1404-Base.JPG (the picture doesn't do it justice.)

      It's located in NE Philly if anybody is nearby and wants to get it, I can tell you where.

      Or does anybody have Antique Trader's TV and Radio price Guide and can look it up for me?

      It's very attractive but the logistics of rescuing it are a bit hard for me, and I don't know

      Any suggestions of where to turn for people into this sort of thing who might be up/online at this late hour would be appreciated.

      thanks!

      Feel free to IM me at this yahoo id/yahoo im.

      --
      MSimons
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2010
        I recommend posting on the NJARC list. They're an antique radio club, but they know a lot of antique TV too.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2010
          Where is the set?
          bs

          Message 4 of 5 , May 26, 2010
            --- On Wed, 5/26/10, m <msimonsmail@...> wrote:

            > I'm not sure where else to turn... I'm trying to
            > decide whether or not I should go rescue this vintage
            > 1949/1950 television in a nice wood case or not.
            > Basically, it's either tonight, or never. (in other words,
            > it's out in the trash for tomorrow's pickup..)

            I would go out and get it - but then again, I've got a real soft spot for televisions. :)

            > Or does anybody have Antique Trader's TV and Radio price
            > Guide and can look it up for me?

            Eh.. Price guides for this stuff don't usually mean anything. TV's inherently aren't worth much, even to antique dealers. Collecting old TV's is not a hobby about money - it's about fun. The only sets that are worth money are the exceptionally early/rare sets.

            > It's very attractive but the logistics of rescuing it are a
            > bit hard for me, and I don't know

            You should try. It would be a fun project. I, for one, love old TV's. Fixing them is a lot of fun. Philcos of that era were pretty well made, aside from the fact that they're always infested with those *horrible* black striped capacitors. But, they're usually pretty easy to work on.

            -Ian
          • Jim Kalin
            Message 5 of 5 , May 26, 2010

              I don’t collect vintage TV’s but I’ve always wanted a vintage console  TV and stereo.  I say get it while you can, LOL.

              Jim