Unique Atari 2600 CX-2000 "Val" Prototype Console on eBay

  • BobShuster
    Message 1 of 5 , May 25, 2010
      Unique Atari 2600 CX-2000 "Val" Prototype Console on eBay - they're only asking $99K for it, but they do throw in the shipping! Surely this is rare, but $99K?!?url: http://cgi.ebay.com/Unique-Atari-2600-CX-2000-Val-Prototype-Console-/120574713101

      They have a bunch of other interesting and expensive early Atari stuff as well.
    • jaj@totallyamused.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 25, 2010
        Paging Curt Vendel....

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: "BobShuster" <bob@...>
        Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 00:20:42 -0000
        To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] Unique Atari 2600 CX-2000 "Val" Prototype Console on eBay

        Message 3 of 5 , May 25, 2010
          BobShuster wrote:
          Unique Atari 2600 CX-2000 "Val" Prototype Console on eBay - they're only asking $99K for it, but they do throw in the shipping! Surely this is rare, but $99K?!?url: http://cgi.ebay.com/Unique-Atari-2600-CX-2000-Val-Prototype-Console-/120574713101

          They have a bunch of other interesting and expensive early Atari stuff as well.
          I have the 2600jr.  If this was the prototype of the original 2600 that'd be something, but the 2600jr prototype is not worth $99,000.  But lately I have under-estimated what people will pay for these things....

          Opinion sought - what is the rarity/value of the 2600 system versions ?

          Bill
        • jaj@totallyamused.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 25, 2010
            I believe the Heavy Sixers (woodgrain with six switches) are the most sought after of the production systems, after that is probably the Darth Vadar type, all black - I think only 4 switches? That is just Atari produced items though. There are less common systems like to Gemini (a 2600 clone made by Coleco?) that are pretty hard to find, and I think Columbia (as in the record club) made a system as well?

            Best resource is Digital Press to research further, their collector guide is worth every penny, and they are NJ based too. They have a bricks and mortar store and do some monthly gatherings (NAVA) as well -- worth a trip if anyone wants to plan a trip, I am in.

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            Message 5 of 5 , May 25, 2010
              The store in Clifton is a great place.  Nice selection of vintage games and it's right off the Parkway.  Joe S., the owner, is a supporter of what we all do.