Re: [midatlanticretro] computer recycling events

  • David Collins
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2005
      I've been told (but I haven't tried) that when Burlington County has
      their recycle
      days that it is drop off only, they don't let you browse the inventory
      because they
      have a contracted company hauling them off. You might be able to strike
      a deal
      if you find out what company though..

      Of course if you feel like hanging out, you could intercept people who
      are dropping
      off and see if you can get any interesting items.. :)

      Also, you could slap up one of those free ads in the grocery stores
      saying old computers
      wanted, but I'd be more specific than that so you don't get a stack of
      386's and what not.

      -dave collins

      Chris M wrote:

      >Has anyone ever gone to one of these things? Sometimes
      >held in the parking lot of a school or something.
      >Sponsored by some foundation or who the heck knows.
      >Does alot of vintage stuph turn up?

    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2005
        We recently had a computer recycling event here at work.  In the pile were the usual collection
        of old 386s, early Pentiums, etc.  However, there were several Sun servers (not workstations).
        I asked the IT guys if those could be taken and was told that the list of items was given to a
        company that would do an inventory to make sure they got everything.  It was a very odd
        explanation.

        Anyway, we pulled tape drives, CPUs, and other useful parts, but could not take whole
        computers.

        Next time, I've already arranged to get into "the loop" before the paperwork is turned in so
        I can pull some of the better items.  For some reason, the computer recyclers seem very
        interested in getting all the pieces, but I don't know why.  How much can be recycled and
        sold as scrap?

        Bob