Great news about our museum

    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2010
      Howdy, MARCHins,

      MARCH now has a designated area inside InfoAge's famously large
      "H-buildings" to call our own.

      Our current museum is 75% of the offices from one side of a hallway,
      totaling approximately 850 square feet, divided into four rooms with
      access limited by standard doors (so it's tough to fit big stuff through.)

      Our new space is, well, BIG. I don't know the exact specs, but it's
      very approximately 30 x 120 = 3,600 square feet of wide-open space! In
      other words, that's 425% bigger than our current space, with no annoying
      divider walls or doorways. This is awesome!

      Three additional benefits to this section (Building 9010-C): it has a
      brand-new roof; it has brand-new windows; it is already almost empty and
      we can finish clearing it in an afternoon.

      The bad: no sheetrock, no ceiling. I'm not worried about this. It will
      happen over time. And when people see what an amazing job the military
      vehicles group did with the same kind of space, they'll understand how
      we can do the same. It is very simple and very inexpensive to hang
      tarps over any ugly walls, cover those with poster exhibits, etc. -- and
      who's going to look up anyhow?

      Because there are no internal walls (and therefore no walls to paint --
      yay!), we can arrange exhibits around "virtual" walls, accomplished by
      creative arrangements of desks, bookcases, rack-mounted systems, etc.
      .... we'll also have a large area in which we can do our version of
      "visible storage" copied from California's Computer History Museum.

      Soon I'll get the official floorplan and then we can start planning an
      exhibit layout.

      In theory we can start actual work in just a couple of weeks from now.
      I propose that we close our museum for a couple of months, and devote
      all of our InfoAge effort to the new location.

      As with our current exhibits, the new ones don't have to be perfect --
      just decent -- because we can always improve them later.

      Something that Fred wants us to do, and I agree, is make some exhibits
      that add context. Instead of just having machine history, we'll have
      exhibits about the history of number systems and calculation, etc.,
      leading into the hardware-centric exhibits, and followed by exhibits
      about various kinds of applications and computer science.

      There will be plenty of free-standing exhibits, and plenty of walking
      space! Not cramped like we have now.

      Maybe not immediately, but we'll also put some time into seeking
      companies and individuals to officially sponsor various exhibits.

      I've got a million ideas running through my head right now. We'll also
      include our library in this space.

      Anyway, everyone should expect some work-day announcements soon.

      This is also a major announcement for InfoAge: by the end of this
      summer, there will be two and possibly three museums in H-building
      spaces! For the public, InfoAge just two years ago was a 1- or 2-hour
      visit. Now it will be an all-day visit just like a major metro museum.
    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2010
        Evan,

        That's fantastic news ! I look forward to helping out to create a super vintage computer museum !

        Jeff B
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2010
          I've been putting in some time on my Tandy 6000HD:

          http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Tandy/Model6000HD.html

          I learned Unix (Xenix, actually) on a machine like this in 1985. This
          one was used in an optometrist's practice in Williamsburg, VA.

          This particular machine turned out to have a bad 15MB primary hard
          disk, which I've replaced with a 30MB Seagate ST-4038. The secondary 15MB
          drive seems to work. The keyboard is completely hosed (technical term):
          the caps lock light comes on and nothing else works. I tried two other
          TRS-80 16B keyboards, and one of them is working. It looks like I'll be
          rebuilding two more keyboards, like I did with my Model II.

          Another big challenge was getting Xenix 3.2 loaded. Kelly has
          graciously provided Xenix disk images on his site (both DMK and IMD
          format). I wrote the IMD images to 8" diskettes and started the
          installation. It took 52 minutes to format the 30MB hard drive!

          Then, I ran into a problem. The Install 1 and Install 2 disks would
          not load during the installation procedure. I double-checked with Kelly,
          and it seems that those two disks should be double-sided, but the IMD
          images are only single-sided (yes, I used double-sided disks). I then
          took the DMK images and attempted to use Dave Dunfield's DMK2IMD program
          to create new IMD images. The resulting IMD files were double-sided, but
          only wrote up to track 38 for some reason. There may be a problem with
          that utility and mixed-format images.

          So, I downloaded and compiled Eric Smith's dmklib, which has routines
          for accessing DMK images and some rudimentary utility programs:

          http://dmklib.brouhaha.com/

          I made some minor changes to dmk2raw.c to display the track/sector
          format while converting to a raw binary file. Armed with that
          information, I created specfication files for Dunfield's BIN2IMD program
          and converted the binary files to IMD format. This time, they came out
          double-sided for all 77 tracks. HOWEVER, I noticed that track 0, heads 0
          and 1 were formatted BACKWARDS. Track 0, head 0 should have been 26
          128byte sectors in single-density (FM). Track 0, head 1 should have been
          16 512byte sectors in double-density (MFM). They were correctly specified
          that way for BIN2IMD. On a hunch, I reversed the specs for track 0 and it
          wrote them correctly. There seems to be a bug in BIN2IMD for mixed-format
          tracks, which I will try to hunt down and send to Dave.

          I sent the corrected disks (3 and 4) to Kelly for his site. Now that
          Xenix is loaded, I can proceed to install the development system.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2010
            > It looks like I'll be rebuilding two more keyboards, like I did with my Model II.

            The good news is that they use the same size foam pads. What glue do you use to make the foil/foam/plastic sandwich? I tried a spray adhesive but it didn't last.

            > I sent the corrected disks (3 and 4) to Kelly for his site.

            I'll add these images back. I have a bunch of software for the 6000. I have Deskmate, Scripsit, filePro16+, MBasic and several others. I've tried to find a full copy of Informix or Unify but haven't yet.

            Thanks,
            Kelly
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2010
              On Thu, 13 May 2010, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:

              >> It looks like I'll be rebuilding two more keyboards, like I did with my Model II.
              >
              > The good news is that they use the same size foam pads. What glue do you
              > use to make the foil/foam/plastic sandwich? I tried a spray adhesive but
              > it didn't last.

              I used Elmer's Rubber Cement.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...