Re: [midatlanticretro] Utterly OT: * my * ideal keyboard

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 20 , May 9, 2010
      Matt Patoray wrote:
      > I love the feel of the IBM Selecteic. At work we have these new Dells
      > with cheap keyboards that I hate with a passion...

      The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
      adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
      new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my favorite
      keyboard.

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Jim Kalin
      Message 2 of 20 , May 9, 2010

        I move the Model M keyboards, I use them on two main computers at got them off of eBay about five or six years ago, and they are working perfectly to this day.  I find that I can type faster on the Model M’s with less errors than on the more modern keyboards.  I can go from my Selectric II to the PC with no problems adapting to the keys.

        Jim

        > I love the feel of the IBM Selecteic. At work we have these new Dells
        > with cheap keyboards that I hate with a passion...

        The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
        adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
        new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my favorite
        keyboard.

        Peace... Sridhar

      • brian_cirulnick
        Message 3 of 20 , May 11, 2010
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

          > The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
          > adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
          > new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my favorite
          > keyboard.
          -------------------

          I second that. About 7 years ago... no, maybe it's a decade ago at this point, I made an effort to go around at TCF and buy as many of the PS/2 Model M keyboards as I could find. Back then they were like $2 each.

          Best. Investment. Ever.

          They are indestructable and one of the best keyboards I've ever used (although I still prefer my Amiga 1000's keyboard as the best I've ever used, but I can't use the Amiga 1000 keyboard on a modern PC (as far as I know)...

          You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.
        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 20 , May 11, 2010

            > > The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
            > > adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
            > > new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my
            favorite
            > > keyboard.
            > -------------------
            >

            > They are indestructable and one of the best keyboards I've ever used
            (although I still prefer my Amiga 1000's keyboard as the best I've ever
            used, but I can't use the Amiga 1000 keyboard on a modern PC (as far as I
            know)...

            > You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has removable
            keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes that wonderful
            "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback keyboard, I hardly ever
            make a typo on it.

            In Evan's case I was looking for a way to limit the amount of pressure he
            had to put on the keypad, and an electric typewriter is easier on the
            fingers than a model M, but this reminds me of a story....When I worked at
            IBM the sales reps used to hold up a glass of water and when he had
            everyone's attention he would dump the glass of water on the keyboard to
            everyone's shocked reaction. The Model M is waterproof. Go ahead try it
            at home. A Selectric can't do that!

            Bill
          • Barry L. Kline
            Message 5 of 20 , May 11, 2010
              brian_cirulnick wrote:

              > You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has
              > removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes
              > that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback
              > keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.

              I'm sure that you're all aware of this, but the Model M was made by
              Unicomp, which is still in business. You can find their products here:
              http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

              The Model M is still available and if you wish, you can get a custom
              keyboard. I got a Unix-type keyboard from them which has the <Ctrl> key
              to the left of the <a> key, where God intended it to be.

              I too, am a Model M devotee.

              Barry
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                Barry L. Kline wrote:
                >> You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has
                >> removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes
                >> that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback
                >> keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.
                >
                > I'm sure that you're all aware of this, but the Model M was made by
                > Unicomp, which is still in business. You can find their products here:
                > http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

                No, the Model M is *currently* made by Unicomp. It was originally made
                by the IBM Lexington facility, which was spun off as Lexmark. The
                design was bought by Unicomp, which was founded by a bunch of ex-IBM
                ex-Lexmark employees.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                  Can you still douse them in water like the old ones?
                  Bill

                  > >> You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has
                  > >> removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes
                  > >> that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback
                  > >> keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.
                  > >
                  > > I'm sure that you're all aware of this, but the Model M was made by
                  > > Unicomp, which is still in business. You can find their products
                  here:
                  > > http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/
                  >
                  > No, the Model M is *currently* made by Unicomp. It was originally made
                  > by the IBM Lexington facility, which was spun off as Lexmark. The
                  > design was bought by Unicomp, which was founded by a bunch of ex-IBM
                  > ex-Lexmark employees.
                  >
                  > Peace... Sridhar

                • Barry L. Kline
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                    Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                    > No, the Model M is *currently* made by Unicomp. It was originally made
                    > by the IBM Lexington facility, which was spun off as Lexmark. The
                    > design was bought by Unicomp, which was founded by a bunch of ex-IBM
                    > ex-Lexmark employees.

                    Thanks for the correction, that's part of the history I didn't know.
                    The most important fact, to me, is that I can still buy them!

                    Regards,

                    Barry
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                      Bill Degnan wrote:
                      > Can you still douse them in water like the old ones?

                      I haven't tried with mine. It's fairly new, but once it gets dirty
                      enough to clean, I was planning on cleaning it with the same method I
                      use with my Model Ms. I was going to remove the keycaps, place them in
                      a mesh bag, and put the whole thing in the dishwasher, without heat or
                      detergent.

                      Peace... Sridhar
                    • brian_cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
                        I was going to remove the keycaps, place them in
                        > a mesh bag, and put the whole thing in the dishwasher, without heat or
                        > detergent.
                        -----------

                        If you remove all the keycaps at once, how do you remember what order they go in when you put them back on? ;-)

                        (I always forget what comes after QWERTY...)
                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                          brian_cirulnick wrote:
                          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar<ploopster@...> wrote:
                          > I was going to remove the keycaps, place them in
                          >> a mesh bag, and put the whole thing in the dishwasher, without heat or
                          >> detergent.
                          > -----------
                          >
                          > If you remove all the keycaps at once, how do you remember what order they go in when you put them back on? ;-)
                          >
                          > (I always forget what comes after QWERTY...)

                          I have a photographic memory, but even if I didn't, I'd just look at
                          another keyboard. 8-P

                          Peace... Sridhar
                        • Alexey Toptygin
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                            On Wed, 12 May 2010, brian_cirulnick wrote:

                            > If you remove all the keycaps at once, how do you remember what order
                            > they go in when you put them back on? ;-)
                            >
                            > (I always forget what comes after QWERTY...)

                            plug in keyboard;
                            while (missing keycaps) {
                            press a key;
                            see what got printed on your screen;