Kenbak $25,000

    Message 1 of 8 , May 8, 2010
      Kenbak $25,000
      there was a silence in the room
      Message 2 of 8 , May 8, 2010
        I'm shocked that it went for more than most Apple 1 boards. Yes, the
        Kenbak is more historic, but the Apple 1 is so much better known .....

        Message 3 of 8 , May 10, 2010
          I would bet that whoever bought the Kenbak already has an Apple I.

          Jim

          On 5/8/2010 9:04 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

          I'm shocked that it went for more than most Apple 1 boards. Yes, the
          Kenbak is more historic, but the Apple 1 is so much better known .....

          > Kenbak $25,000
          > there was a silence in the room

        • Mike Willegal
          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2010
            The fair market value for Apple 1's appears to be between 40,000 and
            50,000. One was snapped up for less than that last year, but it was
            a buy it now auction with a 17,000 price tag, which in hindsight, was
            way below market value. Though the Kenbak is generally less well
            known, any collector willing to part with this kind of money would
            know about them, and there have to be fewer of them in existence than
            Apple 1s. Not to mention, that this unit was in operating order and
            has amazing providence.

            Regards,
            Mike Willegal
            Message 5 of 8 , May 11, 2010
              Wrong. The market value for an Apple 1 is 15-25K.

              > The fair market value for Apple 1's appears to be between 40,000 and
              > 50,000. One was snapped up for less than that last year, but it was
              > a buy it now auction with a 17,000 price tag, which in hindsight, was
              > way below market value. Though the Kenbak is generally less well
              > known, any collector willing to part with this kind of money would
              > know about them, and there have to be fewer of them in existence than
              > Apple 1s. Not to mention, that this unit was in operating order and
              > has amazing providence.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Mike Willegal

            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 8 , May 12, 2010
                Why this Kenbak went for so much.

                #4. Kenbaks are rare, you really really don't see them

                #3. The Computer History Museum and the American Computer Museum consider it the 1st personal computer. You can argue all you want, it has this label.

                #2.This particular was the last one. If you follow classic cars, the 1st and last of every car is considered special.

                #1. This unit belonged to John Blankenbaker. This was his personal unit and thus had history and a story. Imagine how much Steve Wozniak's own personal Apple I will go for?
                Message 7 of 8 , May 12, 2010
                  Christian Liendo wrote:
                  > Why this Kenbak went for so much.
                  >
                  > #4. Kenbaks are rare, you really really don't see them
                  >
                  > #3. The Computer History Museum and the American Computer Museum consider it the 1st personal computer. You can argue all you want, it has this label.
                  >
                  > #2.This particular was the last one. If you follow classic cars, the 1st and last of every car is considered special.
                  >
                  > #1. This unit belonged to John Blankenbaker. This was his personal unit and thus had history and a story. Imagine how much Steve Wozniak's own personal Apple I will go for?

                  All very valid points.

                  Bill
                • brian_cirulnick
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 12, 2010

                    > Christian Liendo wrote:
                    > > Why this Kenbak went for so much.
                    > >
                    > > #4. Kenbaks are rare, you really really don't see them
                    > >
                    > > #3. The Computer History Museum and the American Computer Museum consider it the 1st personal computer. You can argue all you want, it has this label.
                    > >
                    > > #2.This particular was the last one. If you follow classic cars, the 1st and last of every car is considered special.
                    > >
                    > > #1. This unit belonged to John Blankenbaker. This was his personal unit and thus had history and a story. Imagine how much Steve Wozniak's own personal Apple I will go for?
                    > >

                    > All very valid points.

                    All valid points, but it's still crazy to me.

                    I mean, it's nice that John B. will end up with $5000 after eBay/Paypal take their fees, but seriously, has this hobby morphed into investments that people are expecting to go up in value?

                    Has the purchaser paid out $25k in the hope of sitting on it for 5 years and then reselling at a profit?

                    Or has Boomer/Gen-X nostalgia just hit the high point?

                    I spend my Saturdays at a garage where we rebuild old Beetles, and I see people dragging in rustbuckets they want to put a minimal amount into dressing up so that they can try cashing in.

                    And they want a lot of money for the car, presumably, because they spent at least half of what they are asking for to obtain the car from some other guy. So, then they don't have much left to restore it with, so, they try and get us to do half the work for free. All the while not realizing that the car has serious problems (like no heater channels).

                    And then they can't find a buyer because everyone that comes looking at the car knows more about it than the seller. And they are still asking too much for it. And they won't sell it for less, meantime the car starts falling apart in the backyard and gets worse with each year that passes, and soon, what they've got is trash they paid too much for in the first place.

                    I'm worried this is the direction we're headed, and, as with the car market, only the ones with paperwork, a story, and a low serial number will be "collectable", and the rest will be passed back and forth between people that don't know any better.

                    And yeah, Chris, I can't even believe the prices people pay for some cars either. I'd love a split-window bus, but I am not paying $10k for one I have to sink $30k into restoring.