Fundraising

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
      Hi Gang:

      I've seen periodic references to the "financial condition" of the
      group, and right now it appears that outgo exceeds income. Not a
      good thing.

      I've also noticed from the web page that there are 99 members in the
      group. Naturally, not everyone has unlimited funds and has to be
      mindful of how their own money is spent. But certainly, more of us
      could send -something-.

      But, it seems to me that if -everyone- gave at least $5... the group
      treasury would be in good shape. One way some of you could even to
      that for free might be to open a PayPal account. I'm not sure what
      the current policy is, but it used to be that PayPal would -give- you
      $5 just to open the account. Even if that's gone away, PayPal is a
      useful way to send money via the web.

      (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with PayPay other than being a user.)

      73 de Ray
    • Greg and Shari
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
        Personally, I had a bad experience with PayPal some time ago and now refuse to use it. Is there an alternate way to donate? I have no problems paying my share. I just need a way to do it that I feel comfortable with. I am new to the group, so if there is a different way to pay I apologize for this letter and could someone please diret me to where the infvo is located.

        Greg Manuel

        ==> See forgotten passwords befind **** asterisks: www.SeePassword.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
          Greg,

          If your bad experience was some time in the past, it might be time to give
          PayPal a second chance. PayPal makes it easy to use your credit card -
          something that will take MARCH some time to implment. It is possible to
          donate by sending your check in the snail mail to:

          MARCH
          Jim Scheef
          42 Squires Hill Rd.
          New Milford, CT 06776

          Jim Scheef
          MARCH Treasurer

          --- Greg and Shari <goodtimepa@...> wrote:

          > Personally, I had a bad experience with PayPal some time ago and now refuse
          > to use it. Is there an alternate way to donate? I have no problems paying
          > my
          > share. I just need a way to do it that I feel comfortable with. I am new to
          > the group, so if there is a different way to pay I apologize for this
          > letter
          > and could someone please diret me to where the infvo is located.
          >
          > Greg Manuel

        • Evan
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
            Granted, if the $20 donations start to slow down, we'll consider a "second-tier" or something like that.

            We'll also make a way for people to donate MORE than $20 if they so desire.  :)

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
              You can mail a check directly to me, a couple of people chose that option.  The checks were written to me, but now that we have a bank account, I guess you can make them out to Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists.  Still via my home address, 18 Colonial Terrace, Springfield, NJ, 07081.

              Err, hey Jim S., maybe they should be mailed to you instead?

              Anyone who chooses to do so should (please) tell me ahead of time.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
                Umm, disregard my email from a few minutes ago about check-writing.  Follow Jim's plan instead please.

                So do NOT send me any checks.

                If your bad experience was some time in the past, it might be time to give
                PayPal a second chance. PayPal makes it easy to use your credit card -
                something that will take MARCH some time to implment. It is possible to
                donate by sending your check in the snail mail to:

                MARCH
                Jim Scheef
                42 Squires Hill Rd.
                New Milford, CT 06776

                Jim Scheef
                MARCH Treasurer

                --- Greg and Shari <goodtimepa@...> wrote:

                > Personally, I had a bad
                experience with PayPal some time ago and now refuse
                > to use it. Is there
                an alternate way to donate? I have no problems paying
                > my
                > share.
                I just need a way to do it that I feel comfortable with. I am new to
                > the
                group, so if there is a different way to pay I apologize for this

                letter
                > and could someone please diret me to where the infvo is
                located.

                > Greg Manuel
                >   -----Original
                Message-----

                Ray

                from this group, send an email to:

                >     c..  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
                to the Yahoo! Terms of
                > Service.

                > ==>
                See forgotten passwords befind **** asterisks: www.SeePassword.com

              • Bryan Pope
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
                  Evan wrote:
                  > Granted, if the $20 donations start to slow down, we'll consider a
                  > "second-tier" or something like that.
                  >
                  > We'll also make a way for people to donate MORE than $20 if they so
                  > desire. :)

                  Evan,

                  Could there be some way to allow us to pick an amount with a $20 minimum?

                  Cheers,

                  Bryan
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 10, 2005
                    There could.  :)

                    Patience please, pretty much everything that happened so far was a "get at least something simple done" process.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 13, 2009
                      I know some museums have a way for people to donate at the door. Some
                      have a "suggested" donation, but to be a true donation, any amount is
                      acceptable. Or, nothing at all, for those who prefer not to give. No
                      one gets turned away.

                      Most hamfest charge $5 or $10 admission price for buyers. Of course,
                      that's for those who want to take advantage of a flea market to buy or
                      sell items. Even if each attendee to the museum only paid $1.. (most
                      people tip at least that much at a car wash), it would add to the
                      coffers.

                      Maybe selling some refreshments on Sundays would work? I don't know
                      if there's any legal impediments to that.

                      73 de Ray
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 13, 2009
                        InfoAge currently has a suggested donation of $5 per person. That usually
                        covers things like our food for the weekly board meeting and stocking the
                        fridge. We decided that individual clubs should not have donation jars, in
                        order to put on a unified InfoAge face. But it's okay to have our flyers,
                        etc.

                        This summer and fall, the building MARCH is in (# 9032) will see three
                        neighbors officially open their exhibits: NJHDA (shipwrech archeology),
                        AFCEA (comms / crypto), and MTNJ (military tech). At that point our hallway
                        will be basically finishes, and crowded, which is a good thing! We are
                        debating whether to increase the suggested donation or to keep the current
                        level but make it mandatory at that point.

                        Refreshments -- InfoAge also plans a gift/snack shop at some point in the
                        next year or two.

                        Sorry if I haven't done a good job at conveying all this stuff.