Re: [midatlanticretro] Utterly OT: * my * ideal keyboard

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 20 , May 8, 2010
      On Fri, 7 May 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

      > I type a LOT. I'm at the keyboard all day long. I want an ordinary
      > keyboard, but with soft rubber keycaps. I tried one of those roll-up,
      > all-rubber keyboards, but it is too flimsy. I also tried a soft plastic
      > keyboard water/dust cover, but it's not precise enough. And of course I
      > tried Googling. Can't seem to find a regular hard-plastic keyboard with
      > soft keycaps to soothe my sore fingertips.

      Thin rubber gloves?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • Matt Patoray
      Message 2 of 20 , May 8, 2010
        I love the feel of the IBM Selecteic. At work we have these new Dells with cheap keyboards that I hate with a passion...

        My favorite keyboard is the Apple Extended II with Alps keys. I use one daily with my Power mac G5 daily through
        An ADB to USB converter. It will work with windows as well :)

        Matt

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 8, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

        On Fri, 7 May 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > I type a LOT. I'm at the keyboard all day long. I want an ordinary
        > keyboard, but with soft rubber keycaps. I tried one of those roll-up,
        > all-rubber keyboards, but it is too flimsy. I also tried a soft plastic
        > keyboard water/dust cover, but it's not precise enough. And of course I
        > tried Googling. Can't seem to find a regular hard-plastic keyboard with
        > soft keycaps to soothe my sore fingertips.

        Thin rubber gloves?

        Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic.scol.pa.us
        Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 20 , May 8, 2010
          aaww, your fingers hurt
          you guys are such whooses  :)

        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 20 , May 8, 2010

            Right now I like the keyboard that comes with new HP's it's very responsive to my touch typing. I don't have to type as hard on it as others. As for vintage, the C128 keyboard is more comfortable to me than the C64. Some models of C64 make I feel like non electric typewriters. Have you ever used one of those ? Now that would give you finger strain ! My mom used to type up reports for me on that thing and I wondered how her fingers were strong enough to type on that thing. It's because she's an organist and has to use her fingers all the time, so she has strong fingers. I wonder if she still has that that thing. It there a market for "classic" typewriters ?  What about old sewing machines ?

            On May 8, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us> wrote:

            On Fri, 7 May 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > I type a LOT. I'm at the keyboard all day long. I want an ordinary
            > keyboard, but with soft rubber keycaps. I tried one of those roll-up,
            > all-rubber keyboards, but it is too flimsy. I also tried a soft plastic
            > keyboard water/dust cover, but it's not precise enough. And of course I
            > tried Googling. Can't seem to find a regular hard-plastic keyboard with
            > soft keycaps to soothe my sore fingertips.

            Thin rubber gloves?

            Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic.scol.pa.us
            Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 20 , May 9, 2010
              Matt Patoray wrote:
              > I love the feel of the IBM Selecteic. At work we have these new Dells
              > with cheap keyboards that I hate with a passion...

              The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
              adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
              new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my favorite
              keyboard.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Jim Kalin
              Message 6 of 20 , May 9, 2010

                I move the Model M keyboards, I use them on two main computers at got them off of eBay about five or six years ago, and they are working perfectly to this day.  I find that I can type faster on the Model M’s with less errors than on the more modern keyboards.  I can go from my Selectric II to the PC with no problems adapting to the keys.

                Jim

                > I love the feel of the IBM Selecteic. At work we have these new Dells
                > with cheap keyboards that I hate with a passion...

                The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
                adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
                new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my favorite
                keyboard.

                Peace... Sridhar

              • brian_cirulnick
                Message 7 of 20 , May 11, 2010
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                  > The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
                  > adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
                  > new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my favorite
                  > keyboard.
                  -------------------

                  I second that. About 7 years ago... no, maybe it's a decade ago at this point, I made an effort to go around at TCF and buy as many of the PS/2 Model M keyboards as I could find. Back then they were like $2 each.

                  Best. Investment. Ever.

                  They are indestructable and one of the best keyboards I've ever used (although I still prefer my Amiga 1000's keyboard as the best I've ever used, but I can't use the Amiga 1000 keyboard on a modern PC (as far as I know)...

                  You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 11, 2010

                    > > The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
                    > > adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
                    > > new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my
                    favorite
                    > > keyboard.
                    > -------------------
                    >

                    > They are indestructable and one of the best keyboards I've ever used
                    (although I still prefer my Amiga 1000's keyboard as the best I've ever
                    used, but I can't use the Amiga 1000 keyboard on a modern PC (as far as I
                    know)...

                    > You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has removable
                    keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes that wonderful
                    "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback keyboard, I hardly ever
                    make a typo on it.

                    In Evan's case I was looking for a way to limit the amount of pressure he
                    had to put on the keypad, and an electric typewriter is easier on the
                    fingers than a model M, but this reminds me of a story....When I worked at
                    IBM the sales reps used to hold up a glass of water and when he had
                    everyone's attention he would dump the glass of water on the keyboard to
                    everyone's shocked reaction. The Model M is waterproof. Go ahead try it
                    at home. A Selectric can't do that!

                    Bill
                  • Barry L. Kline
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 11, 2010
                      brian_cirulnick wrote:

                      > You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has
                      > removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes
                      > that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback
                      > keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.

                      I'm sure that you're all aware of this, but the Model M was made by
                      Unicomp, which is still in business. You can find their products here:
                      http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

                      The Model M is still available and if you wish, you can get a custom
                      keyboard. I got a Unix-type keyboard from them which has the <Ctrl> key
                      to the left of the <a> key, where God intended it to be.

                      I too, am a Model M devotee.

                      Barry
                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                        Barry L. Kline wrote:
                        >> You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has
                        >> removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes
                        >> that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback
                        >> keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.
                        >
                        > I'm sure that you're all aware of this, but the Model M was made by
                        > Unicomp, which is still in business. You can find their products here:
                        > http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

                        No, the Model M is *currently* made by Unicomp. It was originally made
                        by the IBM Lexington facility, which was spun off as Lexmark. The
                        design was bought by Unicomp, which was founded by a bunch of ex-IBM
                        ex-Lexmark employees.

                        Peace... Sridhar
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                          Can you still douse them in water like the old ones?
                          Bill

                          > >> You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has
                          > >> removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes
                          > >> that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback
                          > >> keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.
                          > >
                          > > I'm sure that you're all aware of this, but the Model M was made by
                          > > Unicomp, which is still in business. You can find their products
                          here:
                          > > http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/
                          >
                          > No, the Model M is *currently* made by Unicomp. It was originally made
                          > by the IBM Lexington facility, which was spun off as Lexmark. The
                          > design was bought by Unicomp, which was founded by a bunch of ex-IBM
                          > ex-Lexmark employees.
                          >
                          > Peace... Sridhar

                        • Barry L. Kline
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                            Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                            > No, the Model M is *currently* made by Unicomp. It was originally made
                            > by the IBM Lexington facility, which was spun off as Lexmark. The
                            > design was bought by Unicomp, which was founded by a bunch of ex-IBM
                            > ex-Lexmark employees.

                            Thanks for the correction, that's part of the history I didn't know.
                            The most important fact, to me, is that I can still buy them!

                            Regards,

                            Barry
                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                              Bill Degnan wrote:
                              > Can you still douse them in water like the old ones?

                              I haven't tried with mine. It's fairly new, but once it gets dirty
                              enough to clean, I was planning on cleaning it with the same method I
                              use with my Model Ms. I was going to remove the keycaps, place them in
                              a mesh bag, and put the whole thing in the dishwasher, without heat or
                              detergent.

                              Peace... Sridhar
                            • brian_cirulnick
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
                                I was going to remove the keycaps, place them in
                                > a mesh bag, and put the whole thing in the dishwasher, without heat or
                                > detergent.
                                -----------

                                If you remove all the keycaps at once, how do you remember what order they go in when you put them back on? ;-)

                                (I always forget what comes after QWERTY...)
                              • Sridhar Ayengar
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                                  brian_cirulnick wrote:
                                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar<ploopster@...> wrote:
                                  > I was going to remove the keycaps, place them in
                                  >> a mesh bag, and put the whole thing in the dishwasher, without heat or
                                  >> detergent.
                                  > -----------
                                  >
                                  > If you remove all the keycaps at once, how do you remember what order they go in when you put them back on? ;-)
                                  >
                                  > (I always forget what comes after QWERTY...)

                                  I have a photographic memory, but even if I didn't, I'd just look at
                                  another keyboard. 8-P

                                  Peace... Sridhar
                                • Alexey Toptygin
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 12, 2010
                                    On Wed, 12 May 2010, brian_cirulnick wrote:

                                    > If you remove all the keycaps at once, how do you remember what order
                                    > they go in when you put them back on? ;-)
                                    >
                                    > (I always forget what comes after QWERTY...)

                                    plug in keyboard;
                                    while (missing keycaps) {
                                    press a key;
                                    see what got printed on your screen;