Re: [midatlanticretro] Utterly OT: * my * ideal keyboard

    Message 1 of 20 , May 7 8:46 PM
      ... or at least one that doesn't cost $120!

      http://www.datacal.com/p-241-tg3-tg103r-bnurus-backlit-washable-keyboard-with-numberpad.aspx

      > I type a LOT. I'm at the keyboard all day long. I want an ordinary
      > keyboard, but with soft rubber keycaps. I tried one of those roll-up,
      > all-rubber keyboards, but it is too flimsy. I also tried a soft plastic
      > keyboard water/dust cover, but it's not precise enough. And of course I
      > tried Googling. Can't seem to find a regular hard-plastic keyboard with
      > soft keycaps to soothe my sore fingertips.
    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 20 , May 7 8:50 PM
        --- On Fri, 5/7/10, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        > I type a LOT.  I'm at the
        > keyboard all day long.  I want an ordinary
        > keyboard, but with soft rubber keycaps.  I tried one
        > of those roll-up,
        > all-rubber keyboards, but it is too flimsy.  I also
        > tried a soft plastic
        > keyboard water/dust cover, but it's not precise
        > enough.  And of course I
        > tried Googling.  Can't seem to find a regular
        > hard-plastic keyboard with
        > soft keycaps to soothe my sore fingertips.

        I type a lot too - spending all day a the keyboard. But I never have had problems with sore fingertips. The thing that gets me is actually too *short* of a key travel. Laptop keyboards are the worst. The big, old, heavy keyboards, like the VT100 never give me problems - but the modern "soft touch" ones will hurt the muscles in my hand. It's almost like the muscles don't move enough, and as such bind up. I don't know what it is.

        Try a real keyboard, like the IBM Model M or something, and see if that doesn't make your hands feel better.

        -Ian
        Message 3 of 20 , May 8 5:24 AM
          Mr Ian Primus wrote:
[...]

          Evan/all,

          Try a Tandy Coco.  ha ha.  I type all day, but I use a angled ergonomic keyboard and that seems to help with any issues I have with strain on the hands.   You could wear little thimbles or banjo pics on your fingers, see how that goes.....

          When was the last time anyone experienced the joy of the electric typewriter?  I know that there is a way to use an IBM Selectric as a computer interface, long road to a small house, but those things are the absolute best things for typing.

          Bill
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 20 , May 8 5:26 AM
            On Fri, 7 May 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > I type a LOT. I'm at the keyboard all day long. I want an ordinary
            > keyboard, but with soft rubber keycaps. I tried one of those roll-up,
            > all-rubber keyboards, but it is too flimsy. I also tried a soft plastic
            > keyboard water/dust cover, but it's not precise enough. And of course I
            > tried Googling. Can't seem to find a regular hard-plastic keyboard with
            > soft keycaps to soothe my sore fingertips.

            Thin rubber gloves?

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Matt Patoray
            Message 5 of 20 , May 8 6:23 AM
              I love the feel of the IBM Selecteic. At work we have these new Dells with cheap keyboards that I hate with a passion...

              My favorite keyboard is the Apple Extended II with Alps keys. I use one daily with my Power mac G5 daily through
              An ADB to USB converter. It will work with windows as well :)

              Matt

              Sent from my iPhone

              On May 8, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

              On Fri, 7 May 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > I type a LOT. I'm at the keyboard all day long. I want an ordinary
              > keyboard, but with soft rubber keycaps. I tried one of those roll-up,
              > all-rubber keyboards, but it is too flimsy. I also tried a soft plastic
              > keyboard water/dust cover, but it's not precise enough. And of course I
              > tried Googling. Can't seem to find a regular hard-plastic keyboard with
              > soft keycaps to soothe my sore fingertips.

              Thin rubber gloves?

              Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic.scol.pa.us
              Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 20 , May 8 7:02 AM
                aaww, your fingers hurt
                you guys are such whooses  :)

              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 20 , May 8 7:31 AM

                  Right now I like the keyboard that comes with new HP's it's very responsive to my touch typing. I don't have to type as hard on it as others. As for vintage, the C128 keyboard is more comfortable to me than the C64. Some models of C64 make I feel like non electric typewriters. Have you ever used one of those ? Now that would give you finger strain ! My mom used to type up reports for me on that thing and I wondered how her fingers were strong enough to type on that thing. It's because she's an organist and has to use her fingers all the time, so she has strong fingers. I wonder if she still has that that thing. It there a market for "classic" typewriters ?  What about old sewing machines ?

                  On May 8, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us> wrote:

                  On Fri, 7 May 2010, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > I type a LOT. I'm at the keyboard all day long. I want an ordinary
                  > keyboard, but with soft rubber keycaps. I tried one of those roll-up,
                  > all-rubber keyboards, but it is too flimsy. I also tried a soft plastic
                  > keyboard water/dust cover, but it's not precise enough. And of course I
                  > tried Googling. Can't seem to find a regular hard-plastic keyboard with
                  > soft keycaps to soothe my sore fingertips.

                  Thin rubber gloves?

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic.scol.pa.us
                  Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 9 12:02 PM
                    Matt Patoray wrote:
                    > I love the feel of the IBM Selecteic. At work we have these new Dells
                    > with cheap keyboards that I hate with a passion...

                    The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
                    adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
                    new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my favorite
                    keyboard.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Jim Kalin
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 9 11:55 PM

                      I move the Model M keyboards, I use them on two main computers at got them off of eBay about five or six years ago, and they are working perfectly to this day.  I find that I can type faster on the Model M’s with less errors than on the more modern keyboards.  I can go from my Selectric II to the PC with no problems adapting to the keys.

                      Jim

                      > I love the feel of the IBM Selecteic. At work we have these new Dells
                      > with cheap keyboards that I hate with a passion...

                      The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
                      adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
                      new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my favorite
                      keyboard.

                      Peace... Sridhar

                    • brian_cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 11 11:33 AM
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                        > The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
                        > adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
                        > new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my favorite
                        > keyboard.
                        -------------------

                        I second that. About 7 years ago... no, maybe it's a decade ago at this point, I made an effort to go around at TCF and buy as many of the PS/2 Model M keyboards as I could find. Back then they were like $2 each.

                        Best. Investment. Ever.

                        They are indestructable and one of the best keyboards I've ever used (although I still prefer my Amiga 1000's keyboard as the best I've ever used, but I can't use the Amiga 1000 keyboard on a modern PC (as far as I know)...

                        You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.
                      • Bill Degnan
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 11 11:46 AM

                          > > The IBM Model M is just a touch softer than the Selectric, but it's
                          > > adaptable to pretty much any modern machine. And you can buy a brand
                          > > new one with Windows keys and everything from Unicomp. It's my
                          favorite
                          > > keyboard.
                          > -------------------
                          >

                          > They are indestructable and one of the best keyboards I've ever used
                          (although I still prefer my Amiga 1000's keyboard as the best I've ever
                          used, but I can't use the Amiga 1000 keyboard on a modern PC (as far as I
                          know)...

                          > You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has removable
                          keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes that wonderful
                          "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback keyboard, I hardly ever
                          make a typo on it.

                          In Evan's case I was looking for a way to limit the amount of pressure he
                          had to put on the keypad, and an electric typewriter is easier on the
                          fingers than a model M, but this reminds me of a story....When I worked at
                          IBM the sales reps used to hold up a glass of water and when he had
                          everyone's attention he would dump the glass of water on the keyboard to
                          everyone's shocked reaction. The Model M is waterproof. Go ahead try it
                          at home. A Selectric can't do that!

                          Bill
                        • Barry L. Kline
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 11 12:03 PM
                            brian_cirulnick wrote:

                            > You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has
                            > removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes
                            > that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback
                            > keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.

                            I'm sure that you're all aware of this, but the Model M was made by
                            Unicomp, which is still in business. You can find their products here:
                            http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

                            The Model M is still available and if you wish, you can get a custom
                            keyboard. I got a Unix-type keyboard from them which has the <Ctrl> key
                            to the left of the <a> key, where God intended it to be.

                            I too, am a Model M devotee.

                            Barry
                          • Sridhar Ayengar
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 12 8:11 AM
                              Barry L. Kline wrote:
                              >> You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has
                              >> removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes
                              >> that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback
                              >> keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.
                              >
                              > I'm sure that you're all aware of this, but the Model M was made by
                              > Unicomp, which is still in business. You can find their products here:
                              > http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/

                              No, the Model M is *currently* made by Unicomp. It was originally made
                              by the IBM Lexington facility, which was spun off as Lexmark. The
                              design was bought by Unicomp, which was founded by a bunch of ex-IBM
                              ex-Lexmark employees.

                              Peace... Sridhar
                            • Bill Degnan
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 12 8:13 AM
                                Can you still douse them in water like the old ones?
                                Bill

                                > >> You'll know the real Model M because it's heavy as hell, has
                                > >> removable keycaps (so you can clean each key individually), and makes
                                > >> that wonderful "klickety" sound as you're typing. Good feedback
                                > >> keyboard, I hardly ever make a typo on it.
                                > >
                                > > I'm sure that you're all aware of this, but the Model M was made by
                                > > Unicomp, which is still in business. You can find their products
                                here:
                                > > http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/
                                >
                                > No, the Model M is *currently* made by Unicomp. It was originally made
                                > by the IBM Lexington facility, which was spun off as Lexmark. The
                                > design was bought by Unicomp, which was founded by a bunch of ex-IBM
                                > ex-Lexmark employees.
                                >
                                > Peace... Sridhar

                              • Barry L. Kline
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 12 8:23 AM
                                  Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

                                  > No, the Model M is *currently* made by Unicomp. It was originally made
                                  > by the IBM Lexington facility, which was spun off as Lexmark. The
                                  > design was bought by Unicomp, which was founded by a bunch of ex-IBM
                                  > ex-Lexmark employees.

                                  Thanks for the correction, that's part of the history I didn't know.
                                  The most important fact, to me, is that I can still buy them!

                                  Regards,

                                  Barry
                                • Sridhar Ayengar
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 12 8:50 AM
                                    Bill Degnan wrote:
                                    > Can you still douse them in water like the old ones?

                                    I haven't tried with mine. It's fairly new, but once it gets dirty
                                    enough to clean, I was planning on cleaning it with the same method I
                                    use with my Model Ms. I was going to remove the keycaps, place them in
                                    a mesh bag, and put the whole thing in the dishwasher, without heat or
                                    detergent.

                                    Peace... Sridhar
                                  • brian_cirulnick
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 12 10:04 AM
                                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
                                      I was going to remove the keycaps, place them in
                                      > a mesh bag, and put the whole thing in the dishwasher, without heat or
                                      > detergent.
                                      -----------

                                      If you remove all the keycaps at once, how do you remember what order they go in when you put them back on? ;-)

                                      (I always forget what comes after QWERTY...)
                                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 12 10:09 AM
                                        brian_cirulnick wrote:
                                        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar<ploopster@...> wrote:
                                        > I was going to remove the keycaps, place them in
                                        >> a mesh bag, and put the whole thing in the dishwasher, without heat or
                                        >> detergent.
                                        > -----------
                                        >
                                        > If you remove all the keycaps at once, how do you remember what order they go in when you put them back on? ;-)
                                        >
                                        > (I always forget what comes after QWERTY...)

                                        I have a photographic memory, but even if I didn't, I'd just look at
                                        another keyboard. 8-P

                                        Peace... Sridhar
                                      • Alexey Toptygin
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 12 1:09 PM
                                          On Wed, 12 May 2010, brian_cirulnick wrote:

                                          > If you remove all the keycaps at once, how do you remember what order
                                          > they go in when you put them back on? ;-)
                                          >
                                          > (I always forget what comes after QWERTY...)

                                          plug in keyboard;
                                          while (missing keycaps) {
                                          press a key;
                                          see what got printed on your screen;