FYI: surplus ALPS [ASCII] mechanical keyboards available

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2010
      FYI:
      surplus ALPS [ASCII] mechanical keyboards available

      The ascii is in brackets as there's no encoder circuit provided, it's
      just like the way original ones were sold -- these are actually
      replacement keyboards for the Heath-Zenith computers. It comes with a
      flat ribbon cable versus a IDC ribbon cable/connector--but it still
      includes the matching connectors. I see a new project sparking on the
      drawing board -- you can start homebrewing with this--as in a ascii
      keyboard for your fav vintage computer, just add keyboard case - voila !
      It still has the vintage look. I just bought a few myself. --get 'em
      while they last -- ONLY $3.95
      http://www.electronicsurplus.com/Item/5073

      =Dan
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2010
        On Fri, 7 May 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

        > surplus ALPS [ASCII] mechanical keyboards available

        I've been looking at that listing for over a year, with an eye to using
        one for my Apple I replica. I believe I'll order a few.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2010
          Mike Loewen wrote:
          On Fri, 7 May 2010, Dan Roganti wrote:

          surplus ALPS [ASCII] mechanical keyboards available

              I've been looking at that listing for over a year, with an eye to using
          one for my Apple I replica.  I believe I'll order a few.

          a year !
          ooohh, so you're the one that's been holding out on us , tsk, tsk :)

          =Dan
        • Mr Ian Primus
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2010
            --- On Fri, 5/7/10, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

            > The ascii is in brackets as there's no encoder circuit
            > provided, it's
            > just like the way original ones were sold -- these are
            > actually
            > replacement keyboards for the Heath-Zenith computers. It
            > comes with a
            > flat ribbon cable versus a IDC ribbon
            > cable/connector--but it still
            > includes the matching connectors. I see a new project
            > sparking on the
            > drawing board -- you can start homebrewing with this--as in
            > a ascii
            > keyboard for your fav vintage computer, just add keyboard
            > case - voila !

            I bought several of those a couple years back. They're not ASCII at all, they are simple unencoded matrix keyboards. That didn't stop me from using them, but they're not ASCII. They were originally intended for a Zenith ZTX terminal - a self-contained terminal/keyboard that plugs into a video monitor.

            For what it's worth, they're really great keyboards. I hacked one to be USB and I use it daily.

            Speaking of ASCII, I could really use another ASCII (encoded) keyboard...

            -Ian
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 5 , May 8, 2010

              http://www.midatlanticretro.org/

              Mr Ian Primus wrote:
              --- On Fri, 5/7/10, Dan Roganti <ragooman@...> wrote:

              The ascii is in brackets as there's no encoder circuit
              provided,

              I bought several of those a couple years back. They're not ASCII at all, they are simple unencoded matrix keyboards.

              I'm sure that what my first sentence mentions already :)

              That didn't stop me from using them, but they're not ASCII. They were originally intended for a Zenith ZTX terminal - a self-contained terminal/keyboard that plugs into a video monitor.

              Back when we building the first home microcomputers, the next logical step was to take these and make an ASCII encoder circuit. That's the reason for the brackets. For the average hobbyist, it beats having to spend the big $$$ for a terminal back then when most of your money went into memory cards [S-100]

              For what it's worth, they're really great keyboards. I hacked one to be USB and I use it daily.

              Speaking of ASCII, I could really use another ASCII (encoded) keyboard...

              This is the project that we built back in the 70's when we were homebrewing our own systems at home. It's a very minimal design.
              Popular Electronics 1974, ASCII Keyboard and Encoder
              http://www.tinaja.com/glib/asciikbd.pdf
              Shortly thereafter, we had better designs using less parts.

              BTW, aside from the leftover ascii keyboards that I have here, I'm not the only that has been looking for more of these, I've noticed others that posted elsewhere looking for this,  so why hasn't anyone else have the courtesy to share something like this to the group in the first place ?

              =Dan