Zenith ZDH-1217-DK

  • ExSlyder
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5 11:50 AM
      I have this old PC, it looks on the outside like an XT style PC, but inside, it resembles more of the "mainframe" style computers, where you have the expansion bus, then the processor card, interface cards, etc. So it doesn't have a typical XT type motherboard. I don't have a CGA or mono monitor as I am not sure which it would be for that machine.

      I haven't been able to find any documentation for this machine on the web. I haven't taken out the cards yet to see what particular processor, what size HD, etc. I had gotten a 16 bit VGA card hoping it was one of those ones that would be able to do 8 or 16 bit, but I would probably need to disable the onboard CGA/MONO card even for it to be recognized. It "sounds" fairly healty otherwise.

      Does anyone know anything about this machine? Like if there is a way via dip switch to disable the video, because there are 4 cards in it. One has the floppy controller, serial and video output ports, the 2nd has the RAM on it, as well as a parallel port, the 3rd has the keyboard port on it, and the 4th is actually a simple one, it's JUST the hard drive interface card. The other 3 seem to each have a variety of uses. Once I pull it apart and look at the chips on there, I will have a better idea of what board does what.

      Also, I know there is an EPROM on the 1st board, the one with the video and serial ports. Also, that board, as well as the keyboard port board have push buttons on them also, which I also have no idea what they are for.

      Thanks,

      Joe
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13 11:41 AM
        Joe,

        I have a processor card and a backplane that may be from the same type
        of machine. My card as a 286 processor running at 8MHz and uses a 16-bit
        AT-style bus. When I first got it, there was no web to search but there
        was nothing on the Zenith forum on CompuServe. I did have it up and
        running several times. Is the video actually on the processor card? You
        may be able to pull the video card and plug a VGA card in its place.

        Jim