Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone near Raleigh, NC to rescue a Kaypro II ?

  • Bob Schwier
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2010
      I have to go to Raleigh over the summer.
      ReConStruction on August 5.
      bs

      From: ysgdhio
      Sender: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro
      Message 2 of 16 , May 4, 2010
        I live right outside of Raleigh and have responded to the original poster about it.

        Christopher.

        The club already has one, but it'd be a shame if the guy dumps it.

      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 16 , May 4, 2010
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Blackmon <ckblackm@...> wrote:
          > I live right outside of Raleigh and have responded to the original poster about it.

          Cool beans.
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 16 , May 5, 2010

            http://kotaku.com/5530832/tron-goes-8+bit-again

            Question. If Tron really off topic?

            I mean are old movies about computers and video games off topic?

          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 16 , May 5, 2010
              Nobody has complained to me about your obsession, if that's what you mean. :)

              In general, as long as:
              - it's related to on-topic
              - subject line is clear
              - it doesn't offend anyone

              Then you're fine.

              From: Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...>
              Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 06:40:17 -0700 (PDT)
              To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: [midatlanticretro] OT:8bit Weapon does a Tron Tribute

              http://kotaku.com/5530832/tron-goes-8+bit-again

              Question. If Tron really off topic?

              I mean are old movies about computers and video games off topic?

            • Ray Sills
              Message 6 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                Speaking of movies....

                One of the breakfast cereals that I regularly consume has a promotion
                associated with it: Send in 5 "tokens" clipped from the box, along
                with the proper request form (also part of the box) and they will send
                you a movie.. from a list of currently available titles in their
                collection.

                Right now, one of the movies is "War Games"... a classic for
                computerists if there ever was one.

                Now.. you can rush out a buy five boxes of the specially marked
                Kellogg's boxes. Or.. if Kellogg's is not your thing, email me your
                mailing address, and I'll send in a request on your behalf.

                I'm sure many MARCHins already have copies of the movie, possibly from
                "questionable" sources... but this is a properly licensed DVD, so
                you'll therefore be entitled to have "archival' copies of the movie.

                73 de Ray

                Message 7 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:
                  > Send in 5 "tokens" clipped from the box, along
                  > with the proper request form (also part of the box) and they will send
                  > you a movie..

                  A box of cereal is between $4 and $5.
                  The promotion probably doesn't include shipping.
                  So your cost is between $25 and $30
                  and you still have to wait for the DVD to arrive in the mail.

                  My local Barnes & Noble has the War Games DVD for either $14.99 or $9.99 depending on their mood (and that might even be the 25th Anniversary Edition). Even with tax, you're ahead of the game and you'll have it "now".

                  As another data point, Amazon seems to have it for $7.13 new, plus shipping, and I haven't had to consume any cereal.

                  Oh wait, I already own this DVD.
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                    ysgdhio wrote:
                    >> Send in 5 "tokens" clipped from the box, along
                    >> with the proper request form (also part of the box) and they will send
                    >> you a movie..
                    >
                    > A box of cereal is between $4 and $5.
                    > The promotion probably doesn't include shipping.
                    > So your cost is between $25 and $30
                    > and you still have to wait for the DVD to arrive in the mail.

                    Except you get to eat the cereal.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Bill Degnan
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 5, 2010

                      > ysgdhio wrote:
                      > >> Send in 5 "tokens" clipped from the box, along
                      > >> with the proper request form (also part of the box) and they will
                      send
                      > >> you a movie..
                      > >
                      > > A box of cereal is between $4 and $5.
                      > > The promotion probably doesn't include shipping.
                      > > So your cost is between $25 and $30
                      > > and you still have to wait for the DVD to arrive in the mail.
                      >
                      > Except you get to eat the cereal.

                      There is a life lesson in there someplace.
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                        Yes.. Their cereal is so bad they have to give away DVDs for people to eat it. That's why I eat Kashi.

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                          Well... I bought the cereal even when there was not DVD promotion.
                          And, will likely do so when the deal ends. I usually mix several
                          brands of cereal together.. (including Kashi cereals, frequently).

                          But, the point of my post is: advising that the promotion exists,
                          should you happen to be purchasing the -particular- Kellogss's cereal
                          (no all Kellogg's cereals have this deal).

                          AND..

                          to say, I have excess coupons and tokens, and would be happy to send
                          them in, should anyone on the list want the movie. I don't expect to
                          need more than one copy at the moment... and I already have War Games.

                          So... if anyone wants the War Games DVD... let me know, and I'll mail
                          in on your behalf. It does take about a month to arrive.

                          73 de Ray