OT: I got my encom badge

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2010
      Is anyone else following the viral marketing that Disney is doing for Tron Legacy? It is crazy all the things they are doing.

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2010
        Christian Liendo wrote:
        Is anyone else following the viral marketing that Disney is doing for Tron Legacy? It is crazy all the things they are doing.

        oh man, guess 56 games ? jeesh, is there a shortcut to this :)  I need my ENCOM badge

        =Dan
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2010
          Cheat and thee shall find

          http://tron.wikibruce.com/Challengingstage

          Join us brother!

          Flynn Lives!

          Is anyone else following the viral marketing that Disney is doing for Tron Legacy? It is crazy all the things they are doing.

          oh man, guess 56 games ? jeesh, is there a shortcut to this :)  I need my ENCOM badge

          =Dan

        • Bob Schwier
          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2010
            I have to go to Raleigh over the summer.
            ReConStruction on August 5.
            bs

            From: ysgdhio
            Sender: MARCH Yahoo Midatlanticretro
            Message 5 of 16 , May 4, 2010
              I live right outside of Raleigh and have responded to the original poster about it.

              Christopher.

              The club already has one, but it'd be a shame if the guy dumps it.

            • ysgdhio
              Message 6 of 16 , May 4, 2010
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Blackmon <ckblackm@...> wrote:
                > I live right outside of Raleigh and have responded to the original poster about it.

                Cool beans.
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 16 , May 5, 2010

                  http://kotaku.com/5530832/tron-goes-8+bit-again

                  Question. If Tron really off topic?

                  I mean are old movies about computers and video games off topic?

                • evan@snarc.net
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                    Nobody has complained to me about your obsession, if that's what you mean. :)

                    In general, as long as:
                    - it's related to on-topic
                    - subject line is clear
                    - it doesn't offend anyone

                    Then you're fine.

                    From: Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...>
                    Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 06:40:17 -0700 (PDT)
                    To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: [midatlanticretro] OT:8bit Weapon does a Tron Tribute

                    http://kotaku.com/5530832/tron-goes-8+bit-again

                    Question. If Tron really off topic?

                    I mean are old movies about computers and video games off topic?

                  • Ray Sills
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                      Speaking of movies....

                      One of the breakfast cereals that I regularly consume has a promotion
                      associated with it: Send in 5 "tokens" clipped from the box, along
                      with the proper request form (also part of the box) and they will send
                      you a movie.. from a list of currently available titles in their
                      collection.

                      Right now, one of the movies is "War Games"... a classic for
                      computerists if there ever was one.

                      Now.. you can rush out a buy five boxes of the specially marked
                      Kellogg's boxes. Or.. if Kellogg's is not your thing, email me your
                      mailing address, and I'll send in a request on your behalf.

                      I'm sure many MARCHins already have copies of the movie, possibly from
                      "questionable" sources... but this is a properly licensed DVD, so
                      you'll therefore be entitled to have "archival' copies of the movie.

                      73 de Ray

                      Message 10 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Ray Sills <raysills@...> wrote:
                        > Send in 5 "tokens" clipped from the box, along
                        > with the proper request form (also part of the box) and they will send
                        > you a movie..

                        A box of cereal is between $4 and $5.
                        The promotion probably doesn't include shipping.
                        So your cost is between $25 and $30
                        and you still have to wait for the DVD to arrive in the mail.

                        My local Barnes & Noble has the War Games DVD for either $14.99 or $9.99 depending on their mood (and that might even be the 25th Anniversary Edition). Even with tax, you're ahead of the game and you'll have it "now".

                        As another data point, Amazon seems to have it for $7.13 new, plus shipping, and I haven't had to consume any cereal.

                        Oh wait, I already own this DVD.
                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                          ysgdhio wrote:
                          >> Send in 5 "tokens" clipped from the box, along
                          >> with the proper request form (also part of the box) and they will send
                          >> you a movie..
                          >
                          > A box of cereal is between $4 and $5.
                          > The promotion probably doesn't include shipping.
                          > So your cost is between $25 and $30
                          > and you still have to wait for the DVD to arrive in the mail.

                          Except you get to eat the cereal.

                          Peace... Sridhar
                        • Bill Degnan
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 5, 2010

                            > ysgdhio wrote:
                            > >> Send in 5 "tokens" clipped from the box, along
                            > >> with the proper request form (also part of the box) and they will
                            send
                            > >> you a movie..
                            > >
                            > > A box of cereal is between $4 and $5.
                            > > The promotion probably doesn't include shipping.
                            > > So your cost is between $25 and $30
                            > > and you still have to wait for the DVD to arrive in the mail.
                            >
                            > Except you get to eat the cereal.

                            There is a life lesson in there someplace.
                          • Christian Liendo
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                              Yes.. Their cereal is so bad they have to give away DVDs for people to eat it. That's why I eat Kashi.

                              Message 14 of 16 , May 5, 2010
                                Well... I bought the cereal even when there was not DVD promotion.
                                And, will likely do so when the deal ends. I usually mix several
                                brands of cereal together.. (including Kashi cereals, frequently).

                                But, the point of my post is: advising that the promotion exists,
                                should you happen to be purchasing the -particular- Kellogss's cereal
                                (no all Kellogg's cereals have this deal).

                                AND..

                                to say, I have excess coupons and tokens, and would be happy to send
                                them in, should anyone on the list want the movie. I don't expect to
                                need more than one copy at the moment... and I already have War Games.

                                So... if anyone wants the War Games DVD... let me know, and I'll mail
                                in on your behalf. It does take about a month to arrive.

                                73 de Ray