museum

    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2010
      Good day -- lots of genuinely interested visitors spread out through the
      day -- I stayed late to accommodate some of them.

      Jeff Jonas delivered the IBM 5100 + drive unit from my accountant's office.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2010
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Good day -- lots of genuinely interested visitors spread out through the
        > day -- I stayed late to accommodate some of them.
        >
        > Jeff Jonas delivered the IBM 5100 + drive unit from my accountant's office.

        cool. I was wondering when that thing was going to show up. Is it
        serviceable?
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2010
          >> Jeff Jonas delivered the IBM 5100 + drive unit from my accountant's office.
          >>
          > cool. I was wondering when that thing was going to show up. Is it serviceable?
          > Bill

          I don't know anything about its operating condition.

          It's visibly clean and was kept in an active business office for the
          past 30 years. Accountant used it as a stand for his fax machine!

          Jeff removed an 8" floppy from the drive. We expected it to be a system
          disk. But the label says, "Games and Misc." .... :)
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2010
            Wow. With my 5110 Model 3 MARCH now has an almost complete collection of the early IBM micros. Pretty cool...

            Jim

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 15, 2010
              This morning I gave a museum tour to the chairman and historian of the IEEE 802 committee.  They both were impressed with what we've done, not just in the computer section but as InfoAge overall.  They're considering helping us with our upcoming exhibit about the history of networking.

              Then, tonight, MARCHin Dave Sica hosted a meeting for an audio-video user group, so I gave a tour to four people from that group.  It also went well.

              In the daytime, Steve and I cleaned up more of our new museum space.  After the evening tour, Jeff F. came over and we cleaned even more.  Fred treated us to dinner.

              There are only a few more things to clear out, but they're large cabinets and stuff, so Fred will have InfoAge's hired laborers do that job.

              When it's done we will move on to painting the floor.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 17, 2010
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 15, 2011
                    This Sunday, Jeff B. will man the museum alone. Jeff J. and I are both
                    taking off. We're going on Monday instead, when we'll dive into the
                    warehouse organization project. (I have other plans this Sunday, and
                    Jeff J. is taking the day off .... he deserves to be well-rested if he's
                    going to put up with me all day Monday!)

                    I plan to get down there for at least another two or three weekdays,
                    because I'm off from work next week and the week after. I'm giving a
                    tour on the 21st (next Wed.) to the Trenton boys/girls club at 5pm, and
                    would welcome help before that if anybody is free. Or we might do a
                    rescue that morning/afternoon before the visitors arrive. To be
                    determined. If we do the rescue, then I will definitely need help from
                    people who can schlep!

                    Other work days to be determined .... I understand that a lot of people
                    are doing family time the week of Christmas. All I have is a family
                    Chanukah party -- ironically on Xmas eve. Anybody who wants to get *
                    away * from their family should call me and offer to help out. :)