MARCH and money, part 2

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
      In case anyone was wondering -- our club is in the black, not red! We have NO debt, and in fact we never have had any debt. Since forming in early 2005, we've done amazing things on an "insanely" shoestring budget. However, we're growing our museum, and that costs money.

      What's interesting is that any "sane" business person would never consider starting a business on the cumulative amount (far less than $10k, I estimate) that got us through five years already. :)

      Anyway, the idea of selling some overstock is something we've done before (VCF East 5) and also with some books (VCF East 6). It was successful both times because we used extreme caution in deciding what to sell/keep. Bill's suggestion is just that we can make far more $$ by putting more effort into what we sell, and that it's a good way for MARCHins to learn restoration skills and help the club at the same time.

      I know Jeff F. was only kidding in his Altair reply, but I can't emphasize enough that our budget is not merely "balanced" but in fact weighted down on the profitable side! Nobody should think for a nanosecond that we're in trouble and "selling off" Altair-like items. *** Only *** the very redundant systems and/or non-important systems will be considered. You all have my word on that, and can consider it a promise or contract between MARCH and its members/benefactors.
    • Bill Degnan
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
        further...we have no complete inventory, unless you cound "Commity Memory".
        The MARCH inventory is a post your stuff program from 1999, only very
        little of it is MARCH's.

        I am going to stay overnight at Info Age some time sort of soon to
        select/fix up and post systems for sale on Ebay. Justin is going to set up
        an Ebay account for MARCH (OK?). We want to create a MARCH-approved brand,
        make well-documented Ebay auctions, demonstrating pictures and specific
        techncial explaination of the funcational status. When you see a MARCH
        computer on Ebay, it'll be like a GoodHousekeeping seal of approval. That
        way we can sell something like an Apple II Plus and get top dollar for it.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
          Community Memory I mean. anyone not get it?

        • evan@snarc.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
            What he said.

            Also: when MARCH joined InfoAge in May 2005, Fred gave us a very rough inventory of Grabbe's stuff. I still have that document somewhere. Unfortunately it was prepared by non-computer people, so it's only a list of brands, which is useless -- except for the fact that I have a very good "mental inventory" of what was here when we joined vs. what we brought in. Here when we joined = most of our PDP stuff except the '8 and the Owad/VAX haul; all the heavy HP and Intel stuff in the basement; all of Grabbe's chips/components collection; etc. .... vs. most of the upstairs/exhibit stuff which is MARCH's.
            further...we have no complete inventory, unless you cound "Commity Memory".
            The MARCH inventory is a post your stuff program from 1999, only very
            little of it is MARCH's.

            I am going to stay overnight at Info Age some time sort of soon to
            select/fix up and post systems for sale on Ebay. Justin is going to set up
            an Ebay account for MARCH (OK?). We want to create a MARCH-approved brand,
            make well-documented Ebay auctions, demonstrating pictures and specific
            techncial explaination of the funcational status. When you see a MARCH
            computer on Ebay, it'll be like a GoodHousekeeping seal of approval. That
            way we can sell something like an Apple II Plus and get top dollar for it.

            Bill

            > In case anyone was wondering -- our club is in the black, not red! We
            have NO debt, and in fact we never have had any debt. Since forming in
            early 2005, we've done amazing things on an "insanely" shoestring budget.
            However, we're growing our museum, and that costs money.

            > What's interesting is that any "sane" business person would never
            consider starting a business on the cumulative amount (far less than $10k,
            I estimate) that got us through five years already. :)

            > Anyway, the idea of selling some overstock is something we've done before
            (VCF East 5) and also with some books (VCF East 6). It was successful both
            times because we used extreme caution in deciding what to sell/keep. Bill's
            suggestion is just that we can make far more $$ by putting more effort into
            what we sell, and that it's a good way for MARCHins to learn restoration
            skills and help the club at the same time.

            > I know Jeff F. was only kidding in his Altair reply, but I can't
            emphasize enough that our budget is not merely "balanced" but in fact
            weighted down on the profitable side! Nobody should think for a nanosecond
            that we're in trouble and "selling off" Altair-like items. *** Only *** the
            very redundant systems and/or non-important systems will be considered. You
            all have my word on that, and can consider it a promise or contract between
            MARCH and its members/benefactors.

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
              I talked to Bill at TCF and I said, "Ya know I like the MARCH Parties because you can hang, hack and play Ian's games". So I see MARCH is trying to make some $$$ so I put two and three together and came out with 10 or 5, but I am seeing double.

              I know that there is usually more than one HAM Fest over at Infoage.

              Why don't we find out when the next one is and bring stuff for MARCH to sell.. All proceeds go to MARCH. After the sale, we can Eat/Drink, Play Video Games, make fun of each other, etc and so on.

              Note: Whatever doesn't sell gets brought back because we don't want infoage being a dumping ground.

            • evan@snarc.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
                The ham guys always offer us free space at their events. We just haven't taken it. However I don't think that is where we can make the most money, and I don't think their audience is the best audience for us when selling.

                It is VITAL for everyone to understand that we're not selling things in the interest of lining anyone's pocket. Nobody from me on down ever took a penny out of MARCH -- we've only put money in. The point of selling some things that we don't need is to "fund our fun" -- money to build better museum exhibits, rent trucks for large rescues, make a better VCF, etc.

                We also can make sure that sales are offered at a reduced price to our own members first.

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010

                  > Why don't we find out when the next one is and bring stuff for MARCH to sell.. All proceeds go to MARCH. After the sale, we can Eat/Drink, Play Video Games, make fun of each other, etc and so on.
                  ----------------

                  Never mind seeing double, I just found out why I'm coming home so tired after every day at work -- one of my eyes has changed prescription, so I've been seeing my computer screens blurry all day (I'm now working with one eye)...

                  Nevertheless, I like this idea. It gives me another opportunity to get rid of crap (I know how much Evan loves that word), and benefit MARCH. It's like our own mini-TCF at a Hamfest. Plus, I get to look at some tasty radios, and maybe buy other people's crap.

                  Except this time I won't bother bringing healthy snacks, that seems to have gone over like a lead-balloon, we'll instead bring stuff guaranteed to kill y'all off faster.
                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
                    The RF in my house is already doing that..

                    Seriously, I think it's cool because:

                    It's a meeting of the tribes (Radio Guys / Vintage Computer Guys)

                    We can make a few dollars

                    We can spend a few dollars

                    We can eat/drink & be merry

                    We can playz da video gamez

                    I had an idea for a movie but I forgot.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010

                      > I had an idea for a movie but I forgot.

                      I have ideas for movies all the time, but, being cynical, I always kill off the hero in the first 5 minutes. Surprisingly, no one wants to fund these films.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
                        > Except this time I won't bother bringing healthy snacks, that seems to have gone over like a lead-balloon, we'll instead bring stuff guaranteed to kill y'all off faster.

                        I prefer healthy snacks, thanks for bringing them.
                      • ysgdhio
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
                          > I had an idea for a movie but I forgot.

                          http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0186151/
                        • Christian Liendo
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 26, 2010
                            I remember now, I was going to get the 1st season of Code Monkeys