museum / revenue ideas

  • evan@snarc.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2010
      Hi all,

      Bill Deg. had a good idea for how MARCH can raise some money.

      Back at VCF East 5.0, we sold any computer where we owned more than three: it's good to have a primary, a backup, and a backup to the backup. But it's silly to own more than three of anything. We sold those (mostly common stuff) for rock-bottom untestedprices.

      Bill's idea is that we can test, document, and sell such redundant systems via eBay. That's a good way for MARCHins to practice their repair skills, the club makes a few bucks, and we even get back some storage space.

      Some things we will NEVER sell because they came from Mr. Grabbe; or they have some special meaning; etc. ... but if we have nine Apple II+ systems or a "version three" of something (our Cromemco 2ZH comes to mind) then we're sitting on revenue, technical training, and valuable space.

      So: Bill and I will select items that are good candidates for repair and sale. Then we'll seek club members who are able and willing to do the work. Those who assist will receive a portion of each sale revenue, as will InfoAge -- i.e. 60% for MARCH, 20% each to the member who repaired it and to InfoAge.

      Meanwhile, Dan "Ragooman" is whipping up some MARCH poster ideas that we can sell to the general public.
    • Jeffrey Frady
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2010
        Sell the Altair.

        Then the budget will finally be balanced.

        --
        See you space cowboy...
      • Bill Dromgoole
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2010
          What do we have? I've never seen a list.
          The online computer database linked to on MARCH's home page is useless in my
          opinion.
          I guess I'm not smart enough to use it.
          How about a simple list in alphabetic order by manufacturer.

          billdrom