question about power supplies

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 22, 2010
      I am working on a project that needs 5V sent to two SS50 RAM cards (swtpc)
      regulated I think, and I believe 300 Amps.

      http://vintagecomputer.net/MITS/680_cards/SWTPC_MP-M_hack/

      I found this on Ebay
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390000800572

      Are these normally this expensive and powerful just to send 5V to two RAM
      cards?

      Can an electrician in the room assist?

      Thanks

      Bill
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 22, 2010

        Ok.. Seriously, I know people don't like these ads but this was something I figured would be of interest.

        http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/sys/1704887110.html

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 22, 2010
          On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

          > I am working on a project that needs 5V sent to two SS50 RAM cards (swtpc)
          > regulated I think, and I believe 300 Amps.

          Don't you mean 3 Amps? You could initiate cold fusion with 300 Amps.

          > I found this on Ebay
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390000800572
          >
          > Are these normally this expensive and powerful just to send 5V to two RAM
          > cards?

          Lambda power supplies are expensive, but they're good. However, that
          one looks like a 24V supply.

          Try something on this page:

          http://www.mpja.com/products.asp?dept=3&main=1

          Or, here's an 11A switcher for $6.00:

          http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-575/5VDC-11A-SWITCHING-POWER-SUPPLY/1.html

          Get something at least 5A so you're not running it flat out, all the
          time.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 22, 2010
            Well, he's in the right place (near IBM) to find such a thing.

            I'll email him and talk up MARCH.

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 22, 2010
              Ok so it's 3-5A not 300A. got it! I thought that seemed crazy. My entire
              server rack is only 40 amps. I must have been confusing with milliamps.

              > > I am working on a project that needs 5V sent to two SS50 RAM cards
              (swtpc)
              > > regulated I think, and I believe 300 Amps.
              >
              > Don't you mean 3 Amps? You could initiate cold fusion with 300
              Amps.

              lol

              > http://www.mpja.com/products.asp?dept=3&main=1
              >
              > Or, here's an 11A switcher for $6.00:

              thanks. Ideally I want something that I can change to match whatever I am
              powering.

              http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-575/5VDC-11A-SWITCHING-PO
              WER-SUPPLY/1.html

              > Get something at least 5A so you're not running it flat out, all the

              > time.

              Thanks Mike.

              Bill
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 22, 2010
                Thanks for sharing that post. I hope he joins MARCH.
                Bill

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 22, 2010
                  Where I was confused with in the 300A range, that just did not seem right,
                  but I mistook 300ma for 300 A.
                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 22, 2010
                    Bill Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote :

                    > I am working on a project that needs 5V sent to two SS50 RAM cards (swtpc)
                    > regulated I think, and I believe 300 Amps.

                    I'm glad I/O boards don't need 1500 watts anymore! The requirement is probably a lot lower than 300 amps, probably about 1/300th of it. Lots of places make 5 VDC supplies that easily do a few amps.

                    Bob

                    ___________________________________
                    NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
                      Mike Loewen wrote:
                      On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

                      I am working on a project that needs 5V sent to two SS50 RAM cards (swtpc)
                      regulated I think, and I believe 300 Amps.

                        Don't you mean 3 Amps?  You could initiate cold fusion with 300 Amps.

                      more like Nuclear Fusion  :)

                          Or, here's an 11A switcher for $6.00:

                      http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/PS-575/5VDC-11A-SWITCHING-POWER-SUPPLY/1.html

                      I like that one myself
                      Here's another one that I like using because it's compact and enclosed, plus it has a digital readout.
                      http://www.jammaboards.com/store/15a-arcade-switching-power-supply-110w/prod_251.html

                          Get something at least 5A so you're not running it flat out, all the
                      time.

                      yes, you need like to have some headroom to avoid straining it.

                      =Dan

                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 23, 2010
                        thanks guys. I have placed an order.