TCF, the final details (re: indoors)

    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
      Okay folks. I'm still royally confused about who is going as
      guests-of-MARCH vs. who's going independently, and who's going to dinner
      with us.

      Bill Deg., Andy, and I all have passes for ourselves. Andy has three
      extras; Bill and I will each have one extra. So that makes five. These
      are for people who will actively work the MARCH booth indoors -- not to
      scam free admission and then ditch us.

      "Work the MARCH booth" isn't anything sexual; it means you'll be
      required to talk to our visitors. It's very important to be a "barker"
      of sorts and draw people in. Don't just stand around and watch people
      walk by. Many people ARE interested but they wait for an invitation, or
      they assume all TCF booths are people selling stuff, which MARCH isn't!
      So if you have the chops then we'd be glad to share our extra tickets.

      This part is important: DON'T WAIT. Please let us know ASAP. Andy will
      be the keeper of the tickets.

      Dinner-wise, I'm trying to pick a nearby restaurant that will make
      everyone happy. It will probably be a Chili's or TGI Friday's out on
      Rt. 1. Details to be determined.

      Bill Deg., Andy, and myself are all bring some computers to exhibit. We
      may have room for one or two more.
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
        Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > Okay folks. I'm still royally confused about who is going as
        > guests-of-MARCH vs. who's going independently, and who's going to dinner
        > with us.
        >
        > Bill Deg., Andy, and I all have passes for ourselves. Andy has three
        > extras; Bill and I will each have one extra. So that makes five. These
        > are for people who will actively work the MARCH booth indoors -- not to
        > scam free admission and then ditch us.

        I would like to come and work the booth. What is our schedule?

        > "Work the MARCH booth" isn't anything sexual; it means you'll be
        > required to talk to our visitors. It's very important to be a "barker"
        > of sorts and draw people in. Don't just stand around and watch people
        > walk by. Many people ARE interested but they wait for an invitation, or
        > they assume all TCF booths are people selling stuff, which MARCH isn't!
        > So if you have the chops then we'd be glad to share our extra tickets.
        >
        > This part is important: DON'T WAIT. Please let us know ASAP. Andy will
        > be the keeper of the tickets.
        >
        > Dinner-wise, I'm trying to pick a nearby restaurant that will make
        > everyone happy. It will probably be a Chili's or TGI Friday's out on
        > Rt. 1. Details to be determined.

        Either would be fine with me.

        > Bill Deg., Andy, and myself are all bring some computers to exhibit. We
        > may have room for one or two more.

        I'd like to bring my Zork display with my IBM 5155 Portable. Is there
        enough room for it?

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
          I was just talking to Evan about brining something "different" ... The 5155
          would qualify as different than the rest of the items already planned so
          you'd be adding to the variety. I will try to bring something else too.

          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
            > I would like to come and work the booth. What is our schedule?

            Saturday indoor hours are 10-5.

            > Either would be fine with me.

            Mr. Burns voice with scary finger wagging: "Ex-cel-lent."

            > I'd like to bring my Zork display with my IBM 5155 Portable. Is there enough room for it?

            Perfect: Bill and I were discussing what he can bring that's "unusual"
            vs. Andy's //e and the MARCH Altair. Bill: you're off the hook.
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
              >> I'd like to bring my Zork display with my IBM 5155 Portable. Is there enough room for it?
              >>
              > Perfect: Bill and I were discussing what he can bring that's "unusual"
              > vs. Andy's //e and the MARCH Altair. Bill: you're off the hook.

              I'm also still planning to bring my IBM Simon as an example of "new
              vintage". Sellam borrowed it a while ago and * swears * it will arrive
              back here by tomorrow. However he rivals me in procrastinating, so
              we'll see.....
            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010

                > > I'd like to bring my Zork display with my IBM 5155 Portable. Is there
                enough room for it?

                > Perfect: Bill and I were discussing what he can bring that's "unusual"
                > vs. Andy's //e and the MARCH Altair. Bill: you're off the hook.

                nice. pressure is off. I may still bring something, but what I don't know
                yet.
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
                  > I may still bring something, but what I don't know yet.

                  Hey, why don't you bring an ASR-33 to connect to our Altair?
                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
                    not likely. just connect it, right?

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
                      (it's set for a regular terminal, not a current loop, etc.)

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
                        I know. I'm just saying a teletype and the computer will not both fit
                        in my car, so if somebody (like you) can bring a known-working one, that
                        would be helpful.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
                          Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          > I know. I'm just saying a teletype and the computer will not both fit
                          > in my car, so if somebody (like you) can bring a known-working one, that
                          > would be helpful.

                          Evan,
                          Upon reflection...I paid extra money to have the part I needed to do the
                          PET demo shipped to me in time for TCF. I planned to do a PET demo and
                          announced it a month ago...I am doing a PET demo. I see nothing
                          that's similar to a PET already planned. The Altair is configured for
                          CUTTER not a teletype. It would be a waste of time to bring a teletype.
                          Thanks
                          bd
                        • evan@snarc.net
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
                            Okay.

                            > I know. I'm just saying a teletype and the computer will not both fit
                            > in my car, so if somebody (like you) can bring a known-working one, that
                            > would be helpful.

                            Evan,
                            Upon reflection...I paid extra money to have the part I needed to do the
                            PET demo shipped to me in time for TCF. I planned to do a PET demo and
                            announced it a month ago...I am doing a PET demo. I see nothing
                            that's similar to a PET already planned. The Altair is configured for
                            CUTTER not a teletype. It would be a waste of time to bring a teletype.
                            Thanks
                            bd

                          • ysgdhio
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:
                              > I'd like to bring my Zork display with my IBM 5155 Portable.
                              > Is there enough room for it?

                              We have two 2'x6' tables. It may be tight.

                              And remember, we're dealing with *the general public*.
                              Systems on display should be relatively common and therefore familiar.
                              Esoterica does not play well at this venue.

                              That said, I should be there early-ish, between 8 and 9AM.

                              Andy
                            • Sridhar Ayengar
                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
                                ysgdhio wrote:
                                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar<ploopster@...> wrote:
                                >> I'd like to bring my Zork display with my IBM 5155 Portable.
                                >> Is there enough room for it?
                                >
                                > We have two 2'x6' tables. It may be tight.
                                >
                                > And remember, we're dealing with *the general public*.
                                > Systems on display should be relatively common and therefore familiar.
                                > Esoterica does not play well at this venue.

                                This machine is *not* esoteric. This isn't a 5120 Portable. It's a
                                luggable XT.

                                Peace... Sridhar
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 21, 2010
                                  >>> I'd like to bring my Zork display with my IBM 5155 Portable. Is there enough room for it?
                                  >>>
                                  >> And remember, we're dealing with *the general public*. Systems on display should be relatively common and therefore familiar. Esoterica does not play well at this venue.
                                  >>
                                  > This machine is *not* esoteric. This isn't a 5120 Portable. It's a
                                  > luggable XT.

                                  It will be interesting to see how many people assume it's an Osborne or
                                  Compaq. :)

                                  Anyway: we'll have the MARCH Altair, Andy's Apple //e, your IBM
                                  schleptop (Hans Franke's term), and my IBM Simon. That's a nice variety.

                                  Fred may give us some InfoAge literature to distribute.
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 22, 2010
                                    ysgdhio wrote:
                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> wrote:

                                    I'd like to bring my Zork display with my IBM 5155 Portable.
                                    Is there enough room for it?

                                    We have two 2'x6' tables. It may be tight.

                                    And remember, we're dealing with *the general public*.
                                    Systems on display should be relatively common and therefore familiar.
                                    Esoterica does not play well at this venue.

                                    That said, I should be there early-ish, between 8 and 9AM.

                                    Andy

                                    You're right, I keep forgetting no space.  I will make a PET video instead.    Sorry to be grumpy.

                                    Evan - how about I bring a terminal for the Altair so that we can see things on the screen and run simple programs?  Another alternative would be to bring an Epson PX-8 with working disk drive or something along those lines.

                                    Bill
                                  • Dan Roganti
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 22, 2010

                                      B Degnan wrote:
                                      [snip]
                                      Sorry to be grumpy.

                                      uh-oh, sounds like somebody we know :)
                                      You might be a year older but not that much --haahaa

                                      =Dan
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 22, 2010
                                        Dan Roganti wrote:

                                        B Degnan wrote:
                                        [snip]
                                        Sorry to be grumpy.

                                        uh-oh, sounds like somebody we know :)
                                        You might be a year older but not that much --haahaa

                                        =Dan

                                        I had clams for my birthday, in spicy linguine sauce.

                                        I got the parts from Digikey yesterday, and I have started making a serial cable so that two PETs can talk to each other.  One issue is that there is no RS232 port on the old PETs, so you have to hijack the IEEE port and use that to send your data serially.

                                        Bill
                                      • evan@snarc.net
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 22, 2010
                                          >>> We have two 2'x6' tables. It may be tight.

                                          Bill, you told me on the phone that you really * want * to bring the PET and you even bought some parts just for this event; so I think you should.

                                          It may be a little tight as Andy said, but four micro-sized computers + one handheld can easily fit into 12 feet of table space.
                                        • evan@snarc.net
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 22, 2010
                                            >>> I can put them back to back, one computer will be operated by someone at MARCH, the other by the public. The idea will be that you'll be able to
                                            "talk" to the computer's artificial intelligence program, but actually the
                                            IA will be coming from the operator on the other PET. It should make for
                                            some funny reactions when the computer makes comments about their appearance, etc. If you do it subtlely / computer like at first it will be shocking to the person when the computer throws a real zinger.

                                            That's awesome. I replied to the whole list to share it.

                                            Assuming the tables are standard 30" tall, will you bring a small table/stand to put behind the main table, so the second Pet has enough space?
                                          • ysgdhio
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 22, 2010
                                              > Dinner-wise, I'm trying to pick a nearby restaurant that will make
                                              > everyone happy. It will probably be a Chili's or TGI Friday's out on
                                              > Rt. 1. Details to be determined.

                                              While I'm fine with those restaurants,
                                              I imagine that after TCF, most eateries on Route 1 will be crowded.
                                              Let's think about a Plan B.
                                            • Curt @ Atari Museum
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 23, 2010
                                                Sorry guys, I won't be able to make it, apparently a family event was
                                                planned long ago that I had forgotten about and well, you know how it
                                                goes :-/

                                                Curt
                                              • Al Hartman
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 23, 2010
                                                  I won't be there either, sick as a dog!

                                                  Al
                                                • Jeffrey Frady
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 24, 2010
                                                    Have no fear, I shall be there!

                                                    --
                                                    See you space cowboy...
                                                  • Bob Applegate
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Apr 24, 2010
                                                      I'll see you guys later today!

                                                      On Apr 24, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Jeffrey Frady wrote:

                                                      Have no fear, I shall be there!