One last time: who's attending work day this Saturday

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
      Anyone else?  (See list below)

      10:00 is great, any later than 10:30 and we'll volunteer you for snacks duty.

      Speaking of which, if you do arrive once we're already downstairs, don't waste your time trying to call our cell phones -- they won't work down there.  What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already) is enter the main building, walk down the hall to your left, turn right at the end, walk through the main room, and take the stairs at the end on the right to go down.  Most important, especially if you're tall, WATCH YOUR HEADS down there.  I'm only 5-8 and learned this the difficult way!  Looooooow ceilings in the basement.

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
        > Anyone else? (See list below)

        I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
        want to be driving home by 6.

        Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
        will be getting in each others way?

        Did they get the rest of the collection?

        I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
        down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?

        > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
        > is enter the main building

        Is it obvious which the main building is?

        David Gesswein
        http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
          >>> Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
          will be getting in each others way?

          More people is better.  Moreover, you'll enjoy seeing the facility where our museum and VCF East will happen.

          >>> Did they get the rest of the collection?

          I think that's imminent, and I expect to hear from Fred about this in the nexy day or two.

          >>> Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it down on paper best?

          Totally up to you.  An electronic record will be simpler because it'll all got to be put in a database eventually, but using your laptop in a basement with a hard floor and all might not be a good idea.

          Yes.  Just in case, here's a photo from when it was the brand-new Marconi headquartes in 1914: http://infoage.org/images/wa7ht-2.jpg ... today there's a tall fence around it, but the building looks almost identical.  Facing the building from Marconi Rd., park in the lot to the right side.  Then enter through the front door and follow the directions to the basement as described in my previous email.

          I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
          want to be driving home by 6.

          Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
          will be getting in each others way?

          Did they get the rest of the collection?

          I saw the bring camera.  Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
          down on paper best?  Anything else useful to bring?

          > What you do instead (for
          those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
          > is enter the main
          building

          Is it obvious which the main building is?

          David Gesswein
          http://www.pdp8.net/  -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
            I can't actually guarantee I'll be there, but chances
            are high. And of course if I am...I'll be late ;).
            Unemployed hobos like me like to sleep late.
            As to what to bring, I don't have a clue. If anyone
            is specifically interested in a Tandy 1000...a ONE
            followed by 3 ZEROS...I could bring that along, just
            so I don't seem like a stiff. I don't really have that
            much that anyone would want really. Anything non-pc is
            basically in need of total overhaul. I think I have
            some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that. I'm
            open to suggestions.
            Evan, just to be clear, we're talking about the
            "hotel" where we met during the summer?

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
              >>> "hotel" where we met during the summer?
              Yup.

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                David,
                If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                waiting for you...
                Bill

                At 05:31 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                > > Anyone else? (See list below)
                > >
                >I was debating since its 4 hours one way so couldn't make it till 11 and would
                >want to be driving home by 6.
                >
                >Do you think more people will be useful or due to space or something we
                >will be getting in each others way?
                >
                >Did they get the rest of the collection?
                >
                >I saw the bring camera. Should I bring a laptop also or is writing it
                >down on paper best? Anything else useful to bring?
                >
                > > What you do instead (for those who haven't been to InfoAge already)
                > > is enter the main building
                > >
                >Is it obvious which the main building is?
                >
                >David Gesswein
                >http://www.pdp8.net/ -- Run an old computer with blinkenlights
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • David Gesswein
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                  > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                  > waiting for you...

                  I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                  worthwhile.

                  Do you know which model 8?
                • John Allain
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                    > I think I have some DEC books, but I'd even have to check that.
                    > I'm open to suggestions.

                    Chris,
                    When John M. packed up the DECMate books there were a lot
                    of 2-of-a-kinds. If you could bring the dupes for me, that could
                    equal a nice contribution/donation.
                    John A.
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                      I do not. It was dark, I assume it was a PDP/8 but I did not write it
                      down. There's a chance that it's not even a PDP/8...anyone remember?
                      bd

                      At 09:06 PM 11/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
                      > > If you want I can meet you outside at 11 if you want, there's a PDP/8
                      > > waiting for you...
                      > >
                      >I suspect my arrival time isn't going to be predictable enough to make that
                      >worthwhile.
                      >
                      >Do you know which model 8?
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 9, 2005
                        David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 10, 2005
                          > David, I'm confused, do you still plan to attend?

                          Yes. The not worthwhile was for somebody standing around outside waiting for
                          me to show up since my arrival time is likely to be somewhat unpredictable.