Update on our club's funding status and work day this Saturday

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2005
      Hello all MARCHers,

      Here's a general update... We on the board have been working hard behind the
      scenes to complete our incorporation and start a real web site. Both
      projects are mildly delayed because we've all just been very busy with
      (gasp!) real life; for example, I spent the past week at the Vintage
      Computer Festival 8.0 out in California, and I spent most of the week before
      that preparing my VCF exhibit. You get the idea.

      Our bill for becoming incorporated is $360. So far we raised just under
      $280 (because of PayPal fees, checks that must clear, etc.)... the next
      major step for our club is to write official bylaws (this is required by
      law). The bylaws will define the officer roles, club mission, membership
      status, and much more.

      Our unofficial officers so far, basically appointed by me from a group of
      volunteers, are me ("duh prez"), Andy Mayer (1st VP), Bill Degnan (2nd VP),
      Jim Scheef (treasurer/secretary), and John Allain (webmaster). If any of
      you guys want out, now's a good time to speak up. ;) Similarly, if anyone
      else specifically wants "in", now is also a good time to email me off-list
      with your ideas for a role to fill. We could use someone who's experienced
      at marketing to help raise our club's presence among other clubs / media /
      etc. And of course, we could definitely use someone who's ambitious and
      good at accounting to lead the club fundraising!

      Tentatively, the bylaws will (in a more fancy-schmancy way) define "member"
      as anyone who makes a one-time donation of at least $20 or a board-approved
      alternative.

      So far the following people made acceptable donations (the details of which
      are kept private except to the officers):
      1. Jim Scheef
      2. Bill Degnan
      3. Bill Pechter
      4. Bill Sudbrink
      5. Bryan Pope
      6. Chris Keegan
      7. David Gesswein
      8. Evan Koblentz
      9. Herb Johnson
      10. Joe Giliberti
      11. Kelly Leavitt
      12. Michael Pearson
      13. Raymond Sills
      14. Rich Cini

      ** PLEASE ** make your donation(s) soon if you haven't yet. Our
      incorporation bill is due soon and we're about $90 short. That means the
      difference will have to come out-of-pocket from the officers (granted, we'll
      be reimbursed ASAP, but it shouldn't have to be this way).

      "Acceptable alternative donations" at this point basically means you buy us
      a nice, strong, folding table or you supply some serious shelving. But to
      be quite blunt, what we need the most is cold, hard, cash. (The temporary
      donations page is still off of my personal site at http://snarc.net/march/)

      And now on to a more fun topic: this Saturday's work day at InfoAge. We'll
      meet in the main building lobby at 10:00AM and hang around a while for you
      stragglers out there. (Cell phone reception in the main building really
      stinks, so please try to be punctual, or else you'll have to track us down
      in the basement.)

      The plan is to have a quick meeting about the cataloging process, then break
      into small teams to start. We'll catalog ONLY complete systems, not the
      many boxes of random parts and stuff -- that stuff comes later; the actual
      computers are far more important for a starting point. The cataloging
      process will involve photography so please bring your digital cameras.
      Extra pads / pens are helpful as well. (Eventually it'll all go into a
      database so write neatly please.) We'll break for lunch, of course, and for
      various extreme nerdity.

      I encourage everyone to bring ONE item to give away. It can be anything - a
      vintage computer, a relevant book, etc. - and we'll exchange items in a
      round-robin style. That way, we'll each (ideally) come home with one thing
      that we wouldn't normally collect. If anyone doesn't really want the item
      they get, then they can donate it to the club, donate it to Joe Giliberti
      ("the new kid"), or just store it at InfoAge if the issue is a lack of space
      or an annoyed female spouse. :)

      That's all for now. Go forth and prosper. But first, kick in yer 20 bucks.
      (Please. Remember, it's not JUST the incorporation; we also need to buy
      liability insurance and oodles of supplies.)

      - Evan

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2005
        Evan,

        slight typo for the bylaws.
        I had to go thru the same thing for our robotics club.
        The phrase 'duh' should be 'da', as in "da prez" :)

        =Dan

        [My Corner of Cyberspace http://ragooman.home.comcast.net/%5d
        [Pittsburgh Robotics Society Got Robot? http://www.pghrobotics.org/%5d

        Evan wrote:

        > are me ("duh prez"),

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 10, 2005
          Nah I fully meant "duh" as in "stupid".   :)